lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-13-2015, 08:19 PM   #1
DixieManSC
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1997 EZGO Gas takes awhile to come up to full revs

I just acquired a 1997 EZGO TXT and while I am well versed in all things large and small engined, it is my first golf cart. The whole concept of something not even starting until you hit the gas is just odd to me.

Anyway, I am having an issue that I can't figure out and need some input. When I got this cart a couple of weeks ago, it had no power when going up even a slight hill. It has 23" tires, so after extensive research on this forum, I ordered a new, shorter belt. Once I put it on, it was night and day difference, but I quickly realized another issue. Once it got warm, it would take awhile to come up to full revs and had no power for a little bit until it came up to full revs. It was as if it was bogging down.

So, I did more research on this forum and here is what I have done since then:
  • I replaced the spark plugs with new NGKs gapped at .030
  • I checked and set the valves to .004"
  • I checked the compression and had 135 on one cylinder and 145-150 on the other. I set the vavle clearance after this and the lower cylinder was the only one needing adjustment so I assume that was why it had lower compression.
  • I checked that the volatge regulator was not causing the engine to bog by verifying that while running, I saw only about 14.5 volts at the battery
  • I checked all throttle linkages to ensure they were operating correctly
  • I pulled the carb and cleaned it thoroughly

Here's where I am stumped. After cleaning the carb today, it now bogs/doesn't come up to full revs quickly all of the time. I am confused as to why cleaning the carb would result in the problem being worse. It also backfires some now and it did not at all before. I did tinker with the throttle stop, but once I realized that the problem was happening all the time now, I set it back to what it was previously. Still the problem exists. Before cleaning the carb, when taking off cold, I'd go right up a hill in my yard, now it won't make it at all. In neutral it comes up to full revs quicker, but is even hesitant then.

I have a new fuel filter ordered that will be here tomorrow and I will replace it, but I am not sure what else could be the issue. If a new coil wasn't $80+ I'd order one and replace it to make sure it is not the issue. I read a ton about the HEI mod, but was not clear on whether anyone got it working on a 4 stroke cart or not. Anyway, since cleaning the carb made it worse, I assume it is a fuel problem.

There is another thread that I found where someone had the exact symptoms as me (sounded like more backfiring that I am experiencing) but there was no post from the OP stating how they resolved it, so I am at a loss.

Any suggestions, anyone has will be greatly appreciated.
DixieManSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-14-2015, 02:46 PM   #2
DixieManSC
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1997 EZGO Gas takes awhile to come up to full revs

I backed the nut off of the governor spring and it did not seem to have any affect. I did not back it off completely. I just backed it off about 1/4" or so.

EDIT: Just read that you are supposed to TIGHTEN the nut, so I will be doing so shortly.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:07 PM   #3
DixieManSC
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have a quick update on this in case anyone is curiously reading...

I previously checked the operation of the clutch and everything was fine, but I checked it again today and noticed that the secondary clutch is no longer opening. I tapped on it with a hammer and it closed up VERY slightly. I think it is stuck and not fully closed. I am assuming a broken spring. I ordered a new spring and new ramps and will pull it all apart when the parts arrive and provide an update then.

Might be coincidental that the clutch seized/broke right after I did the carb clean and it was only seizing before when it got hot...
Old 12-28-2015, 09:31 AM   #4
DixieManSC
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So, I finally got the secondary clutch removed, but I destroyed it in the process. I replaced it with a 28 degree clutch. The difference in torque is well worth it.

The issue still exists, though. When the motor is hot, it does not want to come up to full revs. It takes a second to do so. If I never let it die when it is hot (I keep one foot on the gas and one on the brake when I need to stop) it runs like a top. It only has the problem after I let it die.

I still need to replace the fuel filter, but I am debating on replacing the fuel pump.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-28-2015, 10:33 AM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I would check your pulse hose going from the motor to the pump and make sure there is no oil in it. If there is it will pump funny.. Try just lifting the hose so if thee is any oil in it, it will drain back into the case.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO