lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-19-2017, 12:52 PM   #1
judah
Not Yet Wild

Default Spring Cap Seized onto Spline / Input Shaft on Secondary Clutch of G16A

I am trying to install the Torque Spring and Spacer on my 2001 Yamaha G16A.
I got the sheaves off, I got the spring out, but I cannot for the life of me get the Spring Cap off the Spline / Input Shaft. I tried spraying some PB Blaster, but no help.

Does anyone have any tips or secrets for getting this **** thing off? Or am I just not being aggressive enough with my pry bars - I don't want to crack anything...

Do I need to unscrew the buttons or something or should it just come loose with an inordinate amount of pressure?
judah is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-19-2017, 07:14 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Spring Cap Seized onto Spline / Input Shaft on Secondary Clutch of G16A

Quote:
Originally Posted by judah View Post
I am trying to install the Torque Spring and Spacer on my 2001 Yamaha G16A.
I got the sheaves off, I got the spring out, but I cannot for the life of me get the Spring Cap off the Spline / Input Shaft. I tried spraying some PB Blaster, but no help.

Does anyone have any tips or secrets for getting this **** thing off? Or am I just not being aggressive enough with my pry bars - I don't want to crack anything...

Do I need to unscrew the buttons or something or should it just come loose with an inordinate amount of pressure?
PB Blast it good, and let it work in. Put the car in nuetral and hit the biggest part of the speing seat aluminum with a hammer, rotating as you go. I have many that did not want to come off. Good luck
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:35 AM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Spring Cap Seized onto Spline / Input Shaft on Secondary Clutch of G16A

I was gonna suggest the exact same thing!
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:03 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

It just sits on the splines. There is a clip behind it that may have worn into it, they break also, that is why you need to put the spacer on there it is way more HD. Eventually the spring perch can slide back into the trans and that is bad. I'd say try the hammer trick above to losen it up, unless you can get a puller on it to pull it off the shaft, using the shaft. Be careful of the trans case I would not pry too hard on it.

If it is corroded you can use acid on it but I forget what kind they use, it will eat it out and not harm steel. They use it to clean crank journals sometimes. You would have to research that, and be safe with chemicals of course.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:25 AM   #5
mustangwagz
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Muriatic Acid. Ive used it for fuel tanks.
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:55 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

You guys are nuts if you plan on sprinkling acid all over your golf cart, just to get the spring seat loose!
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 02:24 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Its really NASTY stuff!!!!! But sometimes if you have to get rotted alum off of steel it works really nice. Make sure you know what you are doing if you use it, and fumes are nasty too be prepared. Distributing the acid around is the last thing you want to do, be very controlled. At least plain water neutralizes it for the most part.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:22 PM   #8
mustangwagz
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Its really NASTY stuff!!!!! But sometimes if you have to get rotted alum off of steel it works really nice. Make sure you know what you are doing if you use it, and fumes are nasty too be prepared. Distributing the acid around is the last thing you want to do, be very controlled. At least plain water neutralizes it for the most part.
yah, be extra safe though and use baking soda and water mixture.

Thats how I used to clean batteries and prevent parasitic drain (then grease em.. lol )
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:41 AM   #9
judah
Not Yet Wild

Hey, Thanks all you guys for all the help!

Turns out a few of the splines were nicked/bent. Eventually, with brute force, some hammers and pry bars, and a dremel, I was able to get the sucker off. It really sort of sucked.

Thanks again guys for all the help!!
judah is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha