lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2017, 10:36 AM   #1
persichini
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery Draw issues

So I'm having some issue of drawing too much power while sitting idle... ran the battery down last night during trick-or-treating.

Power consumtion
LED underbody kit (6 amp)
headlights and tail lights Streamline JU2 kit with 30w halogens
Stereo (10 amp fuse)
amp (10 amp fuse)

Tonight I am going to do an amp draw test on each to see what the actual power draw is and see what i can do to eliminate so radio power..

my first thought was to switch the Halogens to LED's to same some power. 30w 12v x2 equals 5 amps... but what type of LED wattage would i need to keep the same brightness or lumens?

does anyone know how much power our starter/generators put out?
any other ideas on how to eliminate some power draw?
persichini is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2017, 11:18 AM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Battery Draw issues

I'd load test your battery I have stereo with amp and two wake board tower speakers and can blast them all day long while on the course and never have had a problem
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:47 AM   #3
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I don't know the exact rating for the Yamaha starter generators, but Club Cars are rated as 17 amps. I would think it's got to be pretty close to that, with the designs so similar. Keep in mind that output is also only at peak RPM, so slowly puttering around the neighborhood you may not have been running enough RPM's to do even that much charging.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:52 AM   #4
Lochlin
Gone Wild

What kind of cart do you have?

Starters typically put out 20 - 30 volts. I am not sure how that equates to current though. Remember, the voltage regulator is going to limit the volts to 13 - 14 volts so, really, what the S/G is putting out may not matter.

No matter, an option you may want to consider is getting an adjustable voltage regulator that was used on G1s and a lot of older carts for that matter. You can adjust those ones up or down for more or less volts in the charging circuit. The issue there, though, is that if you aren't using your accessories your voltage could be too high.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
persichini
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicyunicorn View Post
I'd load test your battery I have stereo with amp and two wake board tower speakers and can blast them all day long while on the course and never have had a problem
What type of battery are you running? whats the amp hours? how often do you have to charge the battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
I don't know the exact rating for the Yamaha starter generators, but Club Cars are rated as 17 amps. I would think it's got to be pretty close to that, with the designs so similar. Keep in mind that output is also only at peak RPM, so slowly puttering around the neighborhood you may not have been running enough RPM's to do even that much charging.
That's what i was worried about.. I'm guessing my amp draw is going to come in closer to 20 amps
Old 11-01-2017, 12:27 PM   #6
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Unsure on the amp hours but it's a 850 cca interstate same battery that starts my truck when it's 20 below 0 in winter I've never had to put a charger on it you may want to throw a volt meter on your battery put it in nuetral and rev it to wide open it should read around 14-15 volts you may have a regulator going bad
Old 11-01-2017, 12:56 PM   #7
cfherrman
Gone Wild

Get a group 65 battery, and check your running voltage, you may have to turn it up.

The charging current is around 15-20 amps if I recall.

I'm just guessing but around 10 amp or less led
cfherrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:16 PM   #8
persichini
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfherrman View Post
Get a group 65 battery, and check your running voltage, you may have to turn it up.

The charging current is around 15-20 amps if I recall.

I'm just guessing but around 10 amp or less led
how do you turn up your running voltage?
Old 11-01-2017, 01:24 PM   #9
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

What cart do you have
Old 11-01-2017, 01:25 PM   #10
persichini
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha G22a Gas.... i think its an 2006
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha