lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-05-2018, 08:08 PM   #1
Glennie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1989 DS Needs Electric Fuel Pump

1989 with a new carb, new fuel pump, new hoses, new fuel filters dies after running for 4 or 5 minutes showing no gas in filters but spark at the plug. 90 pounds compression. My thought is that the engine needs a rebuild in order to make it 'pulse' enough to keep the fuel flowing. A less expensive alternative seems to be to install an electric fuel pump and plug that lower 'pulse' line! Which electric pump seems to work the best? I see several available on line that will pump 3-4 psi which should be enough to do the job. I'm not up to rebuilding the engine at this time. What is the best pump to install?
Glennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-06-2018, 07:34 PM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: 1989 DS Needs Electric Fuel Pump

90psi should still be enough to run your fuel pump. It doesn't take much.

Nobody here I know has tried to do an electric pump, so you may be our guinea pig. Some of the very early (1984-85) gas DS carts did actually come with electric fuel pumps from the factory.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:48 PM   #3
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Is it a new OEM carburetor? OEM fuel pump? Its rare those parts would need to be changed anyway, but if they are non OEM, go buy OEM ones.
They system is very simple, make sure the pulser line does not have too much of a dip in it and is not filled with oil.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:10 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Are you sure the new filters are allowing free flow? Correct direction? Are you sure that cart calls for 2?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:13 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Also make sure there is no sediment in the tank/pickup tube. I agree with the guys above. It should be pumping constant.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:03 PM   #6
jdgriner
Getting Wild

Club Car

1st I'd check to see if you have fuel flow... Pull the line off carb. Gas should bubble out...... Fuel in the fuel filter means nothing, mine stay empty 90 percent of the time..

2nd pull the pulse line of, see if you have a pulse.

Also check the fuel filter its self.... Mine has a gold colored or brass like grill... Make sure it's open... Ive had mud in mine before and die right away, splashed a little gas over the grill and it's been good to go since.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
jdgriner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 05:36 PM   #7
Glennie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK Guys, the electric fuel pump made no difference:( It is pumping gas, and maybe too much, as it tends to drip out of the air cleaner box when it still quits once it gets warm.

I still have spark, but maybe it is too weak to fire when it is connected to the plug on the motor. What are the things that create the spark; how do I check them; etc. Do I have to take the rear body off to get to this stuff? I have the Kawasaki manual, but nothing on the Club car other than the 'owners manual' = where do I put the key! This is getting more involved that I had hoped for when I bought it!

TIA for any and all suggestions:)
Glennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:56 PM   #8
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Check the vent tube off the carburetor. Usually a see through tube that runs down to the frame rail. Originally had a plastic tip that kept the end of the tube open, but if that tube does get clogged it will keep it from flowing fuel correctly & can cause it to flood fuel up into the air cleaner when parked.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car