lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
mpeter5
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Help wiring lights for a 92 Marathon

Hey guys, I
have a 92 Marathon that does NOT have factory lights. The lights I am looking to put on it come with a relay and a lighted dash switch.
I have put extra/fog/etc. lights on cars, but I just used an empty fuse space or wiper fuse for the other side of the switch. Does this cart even have fuses? I thought about using the wire I disconnected from the reverse alarm. I haven't looked it over that close or put a meter on it yet.
Anyone want to share how they wired theirs, or suggest how to wire mine without frying the switch?
I've redone lots of things, but first golf car.
Thanks, Mike
mpeter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-19-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Help wiring lights for a 92 Marathon

I built a bracket and used a fuse block< the relay is controlled from the switch and the power and ground are from sub feeds off the battery
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you use your cart at night, you might want to add a backup light. Buy a utility tractor light and wire it off the power that went to your reverse buffer. It works nice.
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
mpeter5
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Reverse Buffer? Is that the wire I disconnected to keep the reverse buzzer from sounding? Wouldn't it still have to be hooked up to the micro-switch and then only get power (ie:light) when in reverse (and that thing squealing).
Are there any type of fuses anywhere? If I can put one in-line, between the battery and switch, what do I need the relay for?
If there is another option, can someone let me in? I know lots of guys have added lights. Clue me in. What am I missing? other than the fuses I am used to on trucks I am an electrical idiot at a certain point, or before.
Help!, and thanks guys.
Mike P.
mpeter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:13 PM   #5
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

woops, yea if you want a reverse light (in the back) to back up at night you can hook it up to that noisy buzzer power line and run it to the reverse light. It will only come on when you put it in reverse. It works on mine. It (the rev buzzer) is standard on all carts, so I'm pretty sure its fused somehow. Headlights= battery + to fuse, fuse to switch, switch to light (red wire), Black wire back to frame (ground). very basic. Some carts have an xtra turn on the key switch and a prong for the light.

I suggest you get used to the reverse warning buzzer. I KNOW of someone using a cart to put up X-mas stuff and backed over the ladder that his wife was standing on. You can forget about it, and then it is your liability. Don't want to sound like jerk but blah bla bla. Hope this helps with the lights
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #6
P-Z-GO
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

All my lights are wired through a fuse block,(similar to yours) that came from auto zone, to toggle switches. Yes, the lights and whatever else I have hooked up to the fuse block can still come on when the key is off, but just dont leave anything on and youll be ok.
P-Z-GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:52 PM   #7
Glacier Girl
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

The reason for the relay is for handling larger amp draws. Most of the included switches in these kinds of kits will not last long supplying the power directly to multiple lamps.

As the kit comes the switch only has to carry enough power to operate the relay. The relay has much larger contacts/capability to handle powering multiple lamps.

More then likely yours came with the good old Bosch style relay, pretty much fool proof.

I run 6 hologen driving lamps off one of these relays on my cart.

One other thing, I was in the local Northern Tool store the other day, and saw they carry nice small fuse box set ups. from 4 to 20 sets of fuses, and they use the newer style fuses instead of the old glass style.
Glacier Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #8
pizzamaker
****tard supreme
E-Z-GO

Northern Tool stores do have lots of cool stuff
pizzamaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:54 AM   #9
Glacier Girl
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzamaker View Post
Northern Tool stores do have lots of cool stuff

Yeah, Northern's one of those "can't live without it" places. I'm like a kid in a candy shop when I go in there.
Glacier Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO