lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2018, 05:55 PM   #1
GA_bbco
Not Yet Wild

Default 1995 FE290 runs ok for a mile or so...then backfired and stops

Please see the video link to see / hear what it does...much easier to hear and see than me explaining. The cart runs ok for a mile or two then starts to shake a bit and then backfires and cuts off. After sitting for 5-10 minutes, goes again, by not great ( video was after it sat for 10 minutes). Please note, I didn’t let off the accelerator in the video, the engine did all that one it’s own. I just replaced the coil and the rev limiter is off and taped. Could it be that it needs a good carb cleaning? I put some sea foam in and the carb where the air line comes in is spotless.

Also, the gaskets aren’t great around the carb, but the issue is beyond that. The fuel pump was also cleaned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_l039xUgtI

Thank you very much!!!
GA_bbco is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2018, 07:13 PM   #2
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1995 FE290 runs ok for a mile or so...then backfired and stops

get rid of the after market coil.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:10 AM   #3
GA_bbco
Not Yet Wild

The after market coil from Buggies Unlimited is not the issue since it was doing it before the change. Could an expert please see the link posted in the original post and advise? I'm sure this is a common issue to someone who works around these....

Thank you
Old 06-29-2018, 10:06 AM   #4
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Wow... it sounds like a 2 cycle engine!

First off... I'm no expert, but your reving your engine WAY TOO HIGH, and that will defiantly cause future problems!

You didn't mention if you replaced the spark plug... it's a cheap way to get it off of the troubleshooting list... NGK BP5ES

Also, it could be an air leak, FE engines run like cr*p when the fuel/air mixture isn't right, everything needs to be sealed tight!
While the engine is running, spray carb cleaner all over the air filter box, intake tube, and carb,
if the RPM's change while spraying, you have an air leak somewhere in the intake system.
lockman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:49 PM   #5
GA_bbco
Not Yet Wild

Im thinking about putting the rev limiter back on. It’s strange to me how it starts again after 5 to 10 minutes. Like it needed to cool down or the carb float “reset.” Not sure at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
Wow... it sounds like a 2 cycle engine!

First off... I'm no expert, but your reving your engine WAY TOO HIGH, and that will defiantly cause future problems!

You didn't mention if you replaced the spark plug... it's a cheap way to get it off of the troubleshooting list... NGK BP5ES

Also, it could be an air leak, FE engines run like cr*p when the fuel/air mixture isn't right, everything needs to be sealed tight!
While the engine is running, spray carb cleaner all over the air filter box, intake tube, and carb,
if the RPM's change while spraying, you have an air leak somewhere in the intake system.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:25 PM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

I think something got buried amongst my other suggestion...

When was the last time you replaced the spark plug?
Old 06-29-2018, 06:39 PM   #7
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

No expert at all but your engine seems very loud. Are there holes in the exhaust system ? I have just finished one that back fired , ran rough, and got hot under the seat with a rusted out exhaust system. The new exhaust system cured it all. My guess without the proper back pressure a leaky exhaust leans the engine out causing excessive heat and a poor running conditions.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #8
GA_bbco
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
No expert at all but your engine seems very loud. Are there holes in the exhaust system ? I have just finished one that back fired , ran rough, and got hot under the seat with a rusted out exhaust system. The new exhaust system cured it all. My guess without the proper back pressure a leaky exhaust leans the engine out causing excessive heat and a poor running conditions.
First off, thank you guys for spending tine to help someone you don’t even know, I appreciate it.

I did change the spark plug and proper gapped a few weeks ago. I just found that the gaskets along the “air intake hose” to the engine are cracked in some spots and the plastic manifold is also cracked. Are these really that sensitive and is that a symptom of what I described? Ether way I need to replace all of it, but curious if it is a possible solve.

Thank you!
Old 07-02-2018, 04:29 PM   #9
GA_bbco
Not Yet Wild

[QUOTE=raydhd;1516668]No expert at all but your engine seems very loud. Are there holes in the exhaust system ? I have just finished one that back fired , ran rough, and got hot under the seat with a rusted out exhaust system. The new exhaust system cured it all. My guess without the proper back pressure a leaky exhaust leans the engine out causing excessive heat and a poor running conditions.[/QUOTE

Also just found hat the accelerator cable is slack at the carb and the butterfly is staying open. Maybe hats why I have to sit for 10 minutes to let things cool down and the valve close. The butterfly is fine and all there.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:31 AM   #10
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_bbco View Post
First off, thank you guys for spending tine to help someone you don’t even know, I appreciate it.

I did change the spark plug and proper gapped a few weeks ago. I just found that the gaskets along the “air intake hose” to the engine are cracked in some spots and the plastic manifold is also cracked. Are these really that sensitive and is that a symptom of what I described? Ether way I need to replace all of it, but curious if it is a possible solve.

Thank you!
That's what BGW is here for!

Kawasaki FE engines are incredibly finicky with the fuel/air mixture,
and with all of the air leaks you've found, they most likely could be the culprit!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car