lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-19-2018, 04:07 PM   #1
edgar.herrera
Not Yet Wild

Default G2 struggles on hill climb

Hello, I’m new to the blog. Recently purchased a G2 which I restored complete with new lights, radio etc. It has a struggle to climb hills and I suspect it may have something to do with the primary sheave. The slide sheave surface is not smooth. It it rippled with wear marks. Anyone experienced this before? I’m thinking of replacing the entire sheave. Any suggestions on where to buy / brand? Tried to attach a video of the unit in neutral showing the belt engaging but looks like I can’t. Looks ok but no load in the axel. Also added a picture of the ripples sheave. IMG_7390.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
edgar.herrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-19-2018, 04:12 PM   #2
leschilli67
Getting Wild

Default Re: G2 struggles on hill climb

I had the same issue with my EZ go txt, I replaced with a heavy duty clutch problem solved

leschilli67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:52 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Belt condition and size, check that. Yes the secondary clutch can wear out. If the surface is "dished" at all, it will affect the shift and torque. For a Yamaha, call Don Plowman at Plowmans' Carts http://www.plowmanscarts.com/ , they are a sponsor and Don can help you get your cart running tip top.

You also might check the condition of your engine. If it hasn't been tuned up, do that first. Also check compression and check and set the valve lash.

A proper running cart should have no problem climbing hills, however, don't expect it to be a quick ride. The stock engine in a G2/G9 is only good for about 10 hp or so. To climb hills fast, you'll need more horses.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:08 AM   #4
edgar.herrera
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info. I was actually referring to primary clutch. The belt is in good shape measuring 31mm at the top. The compression is also good at 150psi. I’ll have to confirm the valve latch since I’m close to the low end of the compression spec.

I noticed the primary clutch had some free play but the repair manual didn’t indicate if this was good or bad. I ordered a new primary clutch since the old one is the original and has some wear marks on it. I’ll check the secondary clutch spring after I’m done with the primary. I’m sure it’s original and probably needs replacing.

Any other info or recommendations would be appreciated.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:59 PM   #5
Kennzeichen
Not Yet Wild

Get a new belt, new secondary clutch, check the rubber shoes also. You can also get a stiffer spring for the rear and check the load on the secondary spring. Tighter spring will lower top end speed a little. Check your primary clutch weights, if you have groves in either of the clutches, replace them. Instead of the clip on the rear end spindle, get the metal spacer. Should climb hills like a champ after that.
Kennzeichen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:03 PM   #6
edgar.herrera
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennzeichen View Post
Get a new belt, new secondary clutch, check the rubber shoes also. You can also get a stiffer spring for the rear and check the load on the secondary spring. Tighter spring will lower top end speed a little. Check your primary clutch weights, if you have groves in either of the clutches, replace them. Instead of the clip on the rear end spindle, get the metal spacer. Should climb hills like a champ after that.

Wow. That a lot to take in. Thanks I’ll take a step at a time. I did find the primary clutch had a lot of wear on it. I replaced it and the climb got better. Top end speed also went up to 28 mph which faster than I need. Also the response is much faster and smoother when I press the accelerator. I have ordered new belts since I did see there was a lot of wear. I also ordered a new spring for the rear clutch along with the ramp shoes although I’m not sure I understand the ramp shoes help. Can you explain what you mean by “clip on rear end spindle”? Do have a part number? Thanks again.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:24 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If you put a heavy spring in the secondary you need to put a spacer behind the clutch, this replaces the snap ring on the shaft as the spring perch will eventually ride over the top of it anyway, and will do it way faster with a heavier spring than stock. Then it will hit the trans case and can damage it. I think they are aftermarket part only, they sit in the splines not the snap ring groove.

A umax spring works really nice on them for lifted carts but the price went way up lately.

The ramps and shoes on the back of the secondary need to be smooth to shift smooth.

Belt is 1 3/16 wide new, you can't let it wear much with a lifted cart. Stock cart can run them to 1" wide but will notice jerking and such by then. A lifted cart or HS gears will bog out of hole badly usually with worn belt. Really nice one is the kevlar HD belt at cpp they last forever and work really nice.

You should also look down under the starter pulley and see if you have a tension cable there. It should have just a little slack in it. That holds the engine under high loads, it will bog if that is broken or loose and you hit a hill or tow. Some have made a new solid one by welding washers on end of bolt or welding an eye bolt shut, etc. The yamaha cable last quite a while on stock power, I had to make one solid for my clone engine. That way the mounts are softer and less vibration at lower throttle. If you overtighten that it will lose top speed, I set mine with gps when it lost speed I loosen it a little and it was perfect, it would rev up on hills. I also had to put one pump of grease in my stock primary about every month of use or it would stop coming out all the way at stop. Don't use more than 2 it will get on your belt and make a huge mess. G9 have fitting on back of secondary too, G2 some do not, same deal.

Another thing you can do is get a cut sheave, again cpp had nice heavy weight ones. Put that on a secondary it will make the belt a little tighter at rest and under 5mph it will have more power, above that it does nothing. Its great for towing and steep hills. You can cut yours too. It pushes the belt out the top of the secondary a little at rest. I ran cut sheave, umax spring, and HD kevlar belt and it was awesome setup on my lifted with 22s G9. I later had to change it up with the clone for other reasons but still have the sheave on there.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha