lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2018, 06:53 PM   #1
Jlehman11
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Exclamation 82 g1 no power

Need help figuring out why my cart has no power, its a 1982 with the g17 motor the compression is reading about 93psi, i just replaced the crank seals thinking that may of been my issue but it runs the same. Just has no power barley makes it up hills and dosent seem to rev very high. I did a fuel filter and that didnt seem to help. Cleaned the carb. Nothing seems to help.

Was thinking maybe a fuel pump? Is there any way to tell if they are bad i pulled the gas line off the carb and it pumps gas. Also im pretty sure the reeds are good

Any other suggestions, things to try, would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
Jlehman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2018, 07:31 PM   #2
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 82 g1 no power

have you had it up on jack stands to see how it runs with no load?
also this will give you the chance to seem how the clutches are working
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:15 PM   #3
Jlehman11
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I did and it ran the same and clutches seemed to be working fine. They were ramping up and everything, Was just thinking maybe the exhaust valve is shut im not sure
Old 09-02-2018, 09:19 PM   #4
griffo002
Gone Wild
Yamaha

HI Jiehman11....You are doing all the right things thats for sure...Did you take the reeds completely out and check for cracks or not sitting properly?...Whats the history ,have you just bought it or what?
BBQ the exhaust mate...There are posts on the forum of guys throwing them in the brazzier thingy and the likes....Where are the mixture screws set? Is the air cleaner old and blocked?
griffo002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:43 PM   #5
Jlehman11
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I did take them completely out and held them up to light to see if i could see light anywhere through them and couldn’t didn’t notice any cracks. Air cleaners good and I bought it about a year ago and havent messed with it much i got it next to nothing in pretty rough shape. And honestly couldnt tell you where the air/fuel screw is set
Old 09-03-2018, 02:01 PM   #6
Jlehman11
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I took the muffler off and that seemed to help alittle so i plan on cleaning that out but it still seems like its lacking power, are the carbs different in the 82 models compared to the rest of them? Also if it sits for awhile(a few hours after running) it takes forever to start back up with the choke on.

Its starting to kick my butt
Old 09-03-2018, 02:58 PM   #7
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Yes carburetor are different. The 82 carb is the only year it is specific to the cart. I have an 82 also so I feel your pain. Is the plug looking rich or lean? My guess is an air leak.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:17 PM   #8
Jlehman11
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I still have the carb that came off of it when i bought it but i did not know that they are different so I bought a new one not knowing. I could try putting the old one back on, what are you thinking for air leaks?
Old 09-03-2018, 08:19 PM   #9
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Check the rubber intake boot that holds the reeds for cracks and look for play in the throttle shaft. If there's wiggle in the shaft then air is leaking through it.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:39 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Plugged muffler is common you can do 2 things one run a large wire up the tailppipe and see if you can get anything to break loose. To test it usually you can loosen the muffler from the engine and get it pulled back from the cylinder a quarter inch so it leaks good, then take a very short spin and see if it runs different. You can take it apart and clean it, buy a new one, or bonfire the muffler. We used to run the cart fast for 10 min and it would start smoking, keep hammering it and ten more it will stop smoking. That would burn the oil out. But if its so old and dried out it may not catch on fire and burn out that is why they toss them in bonfires.

If the clutches are messed up you usually get some power at one speed, faster or slower you don't have much power. New G1 would spin up hills unless it was pavement.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha