lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2018, 08:21 AM   #1
scubadog
Not Yet Wild

Default Secondary Clutch falls off

I have a 2014 Yamaha EFI cart. After about 3 years the "top hat" washer that holds the secondary clutch on wore and the clutch slipped off the shaft. Called and had repair consisting of replacing the washer. The repair guy took about 5 minutes and I was on the road again. 2 months later same thing. This time I went to a dealer and purchased the washer and replaced it myself. My question: How do I stop the wear on this washer. I purchased an extra for the next time it wears out but would like a permeant fix.
scubadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-03-2018, 09:41 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Secondary Clutch falls off

Have you tried loc-tite? If that doesnt work I'd try and stake the nut.

Chances are either it's not been torqued properly, or the threads on the shaft are worn/damaged from the clutch coming off previously. Loc-tite (blue) should be good.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:29 AM   #3
scubadog
Not Yet Wild

I guess I did not explain my problem very well. The bolt is still there and tight. The washer that is between the bolt head and the collar is worn completely away. Part 14 and 15 are still in place. part 13 is gone except for a small portion around the bolt. Picture here https://www.shopyamaha.com/parts-cat...(YDRAX4_-_2014)
scubadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:15 PM   #4
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Here is the issue.
Im going to assume you didn't have the cart serviced on a regular basis, or you used a shop that didn't know the issue with the secondary clutch.

Put the new washer on and tighten it down. Now check the clutch to see if it "rocks" on the shaft. If it does, then you may need a new clutch and/or a new input shaft.

Whats happening is there is wobble and it is breaking that washer. Its a simple 2 minute fix if caught early enough in the carts life.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:33 PM   #5
drift240se
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Golf cart guy nailed this. That is not a wear item. The washer should last the life of the cart pretty much. If I had to guess, that bolt wasn't tight when new or shortly after was loose and never tightened causing another issue. I've never personally seen anyone ever have to replace.
drift240se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:55 PM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Or as in my opinion...the washer is just to "thin" of material to do the job.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:26 PM   #7
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

The design had one minor flaw, but was a very easy fix. Those that didn't get caught in time, have the issue of the clutch continuing to break that washer.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:57 PM   #8
Berex
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I have had this issue on my 2014 since it had about 90 hours on it.I have tried a number of things to fix it with no real luck. I would be interested to know what the easy fix was that would have prevented this from happening.
Berex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:37 AM   #9
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I've mostly dealt with older ones, but your '14 is probably much the same. That washer is only intended to hold that outer sheeve on, not to keep it parallel to the inner. Once it has developed a "wobble", from worn bushings and plastic spacers, it can wear the opening in that outer sheeve till it has too much side to side play. Once it's worn like that, it's time to replace it.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:45 AM   #10
Berex
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Do you think it would have caused damage to the input shaft or would a new clutch solve the problem. I keep the input shaft well greased so I would think that it should be fine but honestly don’t know. Thanks in advance for your help
Berex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driven clutch, secondary clutch, top hat
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha