lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2009, 11:34 PM   #1
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Default Carb Help

I just picked up a 1997 TXT with a eh35c engine. I got a pretty good deal on it but it needs a little work. It runs but seems sluggish in the low rpm range. I have pulled the carb and am going to test the fuel pump in the morning. I am planning on cleaning out the carb but I can't seem to find in the service manual, where it says to set the screw located at the top rear of the carb. When it is running, it seems to have a "rich" smell to it and I want to get the carb settings right from the start. Anyone that knows how to set up the carb please let me know. Someones put Autolite 66 plugs in it but I will have to wait til monday to go get the right ones. Here are a couple of pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0351.jpg (59.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0353.jpg (67.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0355.jpg (47.1 KB, 13 views)
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2009, 06:28 AM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: Carb Help

Nice cart
First thing I would do is adjust the valves. The adjustment on the carb is the idle pilot jet screw, you can't really turn it much cause there are has stops on it where it's preset from the factory. anyway being the engines don't idle it's real hard to see any difference from adjusting, turn it all the way to the right and see if it helps any.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruredy View Post
Nice cart
First thing I would do is adjust the valves. The adjustment on the carb is the idle pilot jet screw, you can't really turn it much cause there are has stops on it where it's preset from the factory. anyway being the engines don't idle it's real hard to see any difference from adjusting, turn it all the way to the right and see if it helps any.
Thanks.....valves are on the list... just gotta find my feeler guage. That pilot screw on top is backed out past the stop. I ran it down til it seated but then the cart would not crank. I backed it out in 1/4 turn increments until the cart fired off. Do you know if that was right or is there another method to that madness?? I found some trash in the bowl when I got into the carb last night. I am going to clean it all thoroughly and see if that helps. I think the pulse hose on the fuel pump may be cracked a bit too so while I am at it, I will r n r that and check the pump too. I am going to get rid of the Swamp Lites since they cause so much of a strain on the motor at low speeds. I think I will go with 22 or 24 X 10 Mudbusters. So much to do....LOL
Old 06-07-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

UPDATE: solenoid died. gotta get a new one. Carb is clean and the pilot screw is about 1/2 to 3/4 turn from all the way in. The plastic cap with the pointer on it is worn down so it really doesn't keep it from turning. As I was breaking down the carb I found a small spring laying in the tray where I was putting the parts. For the life of me and after consulting the service manual, I still could not find where it went. I am thinking it may have been stuck in the gunk in the bolt channel on the side of the carb. Valves got adjusted but haven't really seen a difference in performance. Everytime I stop the cart and go to take off again, I have to hit the choke briefly, then it runs fine. I can't explain that one. There is a rattling noise from underneath. I know I can hear a weight loose in the drive clutch so it will need to be replaced asap. Worn out belt and broken weight in the drive clutch could explain the loss of power at low speed although I am not sure of the condition of the driven clutch. The ramps could be worn off. I can't remember if there is a way to check that other than removing it. I yanked on the belt to try and separate the sheaves but I could not get them to budge. I am sure that the larger tires are contributing to the loss of low torque but I need someone to buy mine before I can get smaller ones and I put them on Craigslist in the Columbia SC area. Hopefully someone will pick them up.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:00 PM   #5
ez-go amigo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

sounds like you may be running rich on the piliot jet circut of the carb.[taking off]try turning the screw in ? my daughters eaton 90 quad had that exact same problem hers was solved by taking the carb apart it had formed a serious varnish inside the carb and clogged the piliot jet.the stuff is nasty and you literally have to scrub it off .the crazy part is my daughters bike is only about two years old.
ez-go amigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:17 PM   #6
ruredy
Born Wild

If you have to choke it then it would seem to me to be lean on startup, I think I remember around a turn and a half out on that screw but I could be wrong about that. It sounds like you may need to get another carb.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #7
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruredy View Post
If you have to choke it then it would seem to me to be lean on startup, I think I remember around a turn and a half out on that screw but I could be wrong about that. It sounds like you may need to get another carb.
I think I remember Bob-o or someone saying that it was about 1.5 turns. The carb cleaned up really well but since I have a simple jury rig jumper switch to jump the bad solenoid, I haven't tried to play with the screw... too much of a pain to start and restart it. Once it gets started, it runs smoothly at all rpms, so that was encouraging. I wish it would burn a little cleaner. I was really hoping to get away from the excessive exhaust smell. Its not burning oil though, just seems to smell alot like an old lawn mower. I checked the fuel pump while the carb was off and it seemed to be pumping well and I am going to get a new fuel filter tomorrow. I pretty much have the green light from my wife to go ahead and get the new drive clutch and belt so we will see how that helps it with the low end power. I still need to check engine compression. Also found a broken right rear leaf spring shackle so I am getting it welded up tomorrow. I am trying to be cautious about how much I am spending on this cart. I mean a new crate motor is only a couple of grand, so I do not want to throw money at this thing.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:18 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Don't bother welding the spring it will break soon right next to the weld...PM me if you want a I have a new carb for your cart and a used drive clutch.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:58 AM   #9
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Don't bother welding the spring it will break soon right next to the weld...PM me if you want a I have a new carb for your cart and a used drive clutch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sccowboy View Post
Also found a broken right rear leaf spring shackle
scotty, pay attention. sounds like he only need a shackle.
BTW, I have welded leaf springs before and had them last for years and years, just lucky I guess or maybe it's using the right things to weld it and tempering the steel after welding I've even welded cable together and everyone said you couldn't do that either. I use to weld lots of farm equipment when I lived in the middle of nowhere WV, it was more of a necessity thing cause having to wait days/weeks to get parts sometimes isn't an option when crops need harvested. and yes, you can even weld cast iron if you do it right.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO