lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-19-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
Beachrights
Getting Wild

Default Am I getting spark? ground?

Warning!!!! newbie alert!!

1st off- this is a great forum for help- I just got a Yamaha G1 [maybe]- free on CL so beggars can't be choosers right?

Of course it does not run Here is what it does do

* Will "click" the solenoid when pedal is depressed.
* I jumped direct from the battery to the starter and all turns freely.
* I jumped directly from the battery to the small posts on the solenoid and got a click but that's all.
* The solenoid looks very new [shiny!!] so I am thinking it is not that?
* I do not get constant current from the large negative solenoid post as it says I should in sticky post.
* I do get current at the end of my cables when they hooked up to solenoid and starter.
* will beep when put in reverse
* Is there a grounding wire that I am not seeing?

So, what next? Is there a way I can bypass and get spark? I am assuming that when I direct connect to the starter I am not energizing the gas pump/spark plug?

I can not locate a serial number anywhere on this thing! I think its a G-1 so it should be under the right rear wheel? The previously owner gave me a service manual for "G1-A3/G1-E3" Yamaha carts so I am going with that. If i need to order parts this is going to be difficult.

Thanks all!
Beachrights is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-19-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
patmcfann
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Am I getting spark? ground?

need some pics.. but try this depress gas pedal and then arc the 2 big terminals on solinoid and see if you get some spark out of the plug b4 spending some cash
patmcfann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
Beachrights
Getting Wild

you mean connect the 2 large posts via screwdriver? If so, key on/off? Depress pedal? If I pull the plug I should see a visible spark?

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
patmcfann
Getting Wild

Yamaha

key on and yes screwdriver make sure in nuetral but i prefer jack stands and yes you should see spark
Old 12-19-2010, 05:43 PM   #5
patmcfann
Getting Wild

Yamaha

if pedal is not pressed it will not get spark motor will turn but no sparky
Old 12-19-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
Beachrights
Getting Wild

Ok thanks- I will try that. If no spark then what? Same for spark, next step?
Old 12-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #7
crash12888
Gone Crazy

You mention solenoid is new and shiney? Any chance it looks like a "Ford" type solenoid? It needs to be a continous duty solenoid and not a automotive style solenoid.
Can you post a pic or describe it?
Quick way to check everything is remove both small wires from the solenoid and run two jumper wires from the battery to the small posts.
Doesn't matter which wire goes to which post because the solenoid is not internally grounded.
If it doesn't spin, and your battery cables are clean and tight you have a bad solenoid.
If it spins with the two jumpers then you have an issue with the starting circuit or a ground wire.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:31 PM   #8
Beachrights
Getting Wild

I tried the jumper trick with battery cables- click is what I hear. Basically the same as with all wires hooked up to the battery. That is what makes it confusing. From what I have read if it clicks it is working properly. Should I hear a spinning too? I believe its the correct type because the previous owner said she had work done by a shop.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:03 PM   #9
rando
Gone Wild

Yamaha

My G16 was doing the same thing. It would click but not turn. The head lights would even work. Turned out the battery cable connectors were bad. I replaced the + and neg cable ends and it has been fine. They just couldn't deliever the amps it takes to turn the starter.
rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:27 PM   #10
crash12888
Gone Crazy

I agree with Rando,
Beach, Take a set of jumper cables and connect the ground side to the starter housing and the other end to the battery ground, try it.
If it spins you have a bad ground.
Next, take the positive cable, hook one end to the pos battery and the other to the battery side of the soleniod, try it.
If it does not spin but your solenoid clicks you have a bad solenoid.

Edit: just re-read the original post and believe you have a bad solenoid, some parts are bad out of the box.

qoute: "I jumped direct from the battery to the starter and all turns freely".
qoute: "I tried the jumper trick with battery cables- click is what I hear. Basically the same as with all wires hooked up to the battery".

The solenoid can energize and draw the plunger/contact plate down causing the "click" but if the contact studs or plunger bar are burned or broken it will not complete the high amp starting circuit.
To test this, jumper across the two large posts on the soleniod, if it spins your solenoid is bad.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha