lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-02-2011, 12:30 AM   #1
jsmilowski
Not Yet Wild

Default 1982 G1 Getting no gas in pistion

I have a 1982 g1. its driving me crazy. one day it will run good when I give it a full chock to get it warmed up. Then after it had changed in weather from below freezing to fourty out, It is runng really bad. will run but with very little power. Took plug out good spark but seems to be no gas on finger when I place it over the hole for commpession check. but when I take the filter hose off it gets wet with gas when I turn the engin over. Thought it might be water so I added a little dry gas but no help at all. I really need some advice, I love the cart but hate the troubles.
jsmilowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-02-2011, 01:58 AM   #2
ky_mike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 1982 G1 Getting no gas in pistion

Could be several things. Dirty fuel pump would be my first guess. Hole in one of your fuel lines, bad crank seals....
ky_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
jsmilowski
Not Yet Wild

well i am getting a nice push of gas out of pump when I turn it over. seems to be no cracked lines. would I be able to tell if the crank seals are bad. I do know that tI did a compression check and it was around 85. But it has ran after I installed a chock. I would have to chock and go from reverse to froward for a few times till it took off, usaly in reverse first. Then it would run without the chock. I would have to chock it when I was going up a steep hill sometimes. But after it got really cold here, it would not start at all. then I installed a new spark plug then it stated Like it used to. then it warmed up to around 40 with ran and it ran fine. till i got down the road then it started to slowly get worse. Now it just will really struggle to get going if at all. when it does it has very little power. I added the dry gas but no help. Side note: how many turn should I adjust the gas flow on the Carb? Now I kinda am scraching my head. thanks for your help.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

If you have to choke it you may have to clean the carb or look for
air leaks in the air box.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
jsmilowski
Not Yet Wild

I have cleaned the carb, i will check for leaks in air box. But seemed to run fine before. What is the rubber boot between the cab and the block, that seem to have some dry rotting on the top. Can you expain what a reed valveis. something I read said that might be an issue but i do not know what they even do.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
kcnaz
Gone Wild
Yamaha

rubber boot between the carb and the block is the intake manifold.
Mine was cracked on the outside but was not cracked through.
once you take it off you will find the reed valves up against the head,this is a picture of the reed valve removed looking at the piston.

not likely that the reed valves are your problem. Was hoping myself that someone would chime in on what the compression should be on these older carts...my is 90#'s.
kcnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #7
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Rule of thumb is you need a minimum of 100 PSI to get any spark engine to run properly. They will sometimes run with less compression but you will get problems like hard starting and low power. If your compression readings are accurate, you guys have engines that are quite tired and worn. Time for a teardown and rebuild.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #8
jsmilowski
Not Yet Wild

Oh no, so your saying its not a quick and easy fix. I have heard bad things about parts for the 82's. would I have a lot into it, or can a simple re-ring job do the trick. Keep in mind I do tinker but am no expert. is ebay a good source for the parts I would need. Is it really worth the effort. Like I said before I do love the cart, I think when its running good it seems to have a little bit of pep and is fun to drive. thanks everyone for the help
Old 01-03-2011, 11:48 AM   #9
kcnaz
Gone Wild
Yamaha

post a picture of your machine....we all love pictures.
kcnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha