lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
arcitech
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Battery Cable Maintenance

Hey everyone!
Just had a fun time with the Pinkinator, the wife's beach cart. I try to keep it running so she doesn't have to tell me about how I need to fix it. Well, the other day one of the battery terminals half corroded and half burned through. I chaulk it up to being near the ocean and driving on the sand. Just too much salt in the area. So, my new routine is to keep the terminals clean and clear with no grease or spray. ANY buildup is quickly scrubbed away (weekly), even if it has just started. I also am looking into dipping my cable ends into some plastisol or other coating and then peeling just enough away to allow an electrical connection. It is really no fun to be the one driving when a cable burns off, and the wife says that I broke her cart!!

If any of you are near the ocean, I think we need to compare notes and come up with some ideas/plans for preventative maintenance that our land locked brothers might not need or think of.
arcitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Battery Cable Maintenance

i think just with weekly maintence you should be fine.......the salt air just can,t be good so i would be looking at all exposed wire and cable ends like motor.....................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

i like the plastidip idea. that stuff is fun!

no-ox-id grease is da bomb
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:55 AM   #4
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Battery Cable Maintenance

I have 2 carts that stay at our beach house all the time. My first duty when I go down is clean cables and charge both carts before riding. I have never had a cable falure yet with this routine but the salt air isn't good for them for sure.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:29 AM   #5
arcitech
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sand, salt and battery gases just don't do good things under the seat, that is for sure! I'm not against some type of grease, it is just that I was using the red spray protectant and I still got massive corrosion up into the cable jacket (#4 Welding cable with crimped ends and heat shrink). I'm pretty sure that I will take the new cables and dip them when I get back from my Summer trip. Did I mention the humidity here in VA too?

Shadowman: I really think the motor will be the next problem, probably time for a Plum Quick and then paint or plastisol the terminals. So far they look good, I guess it helps to be away from the battery gas and acid, plus there isn't any lead on them so they don't corrode at the same fast rate.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:33 AM   #6
arcitech
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
I have 2 carts that stay at our beach house all the time. My first duty when I go down is clean cables and charge both carts before riding. I have never had a cable falure yet with this routine but the salt air isn't good for them for sure.
Our cart gets used and charged every day if it isn't raining! Even after a week in the hot weather I need about a pint of distilled water and a good top cleaning of the batteries. I've seen plenty of my neighbors carts with similar issues, so I think a better designed battery connection would be great for our situation. I'll get some pics when I do my first attempt (Plastisol), then we'll see how long they last.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:18 AM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

plastidip will help but even where the cable lays on the post that small area inbetween that can,t be dipped is still gonna get it from the saltair.......just don,t let dipping ends have you put your grurd down...................by the way i don,t beleive is grease or spray at all i think with regular maintence you don,t need it all it does is make a mess................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:23 AM   #8
OlManRivah
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

The problem with a coating is that you may get corrosion, but, won't see it until it's too late. Best done when item is brand new.

While I was in Key West, Florida (serious salt problems) folks would undercoat their cars and corrosion would set in under the coating. The best thing we did was a weekly wash and a monthly oil bath for the underside.

Watch the coatings.......
OlManRivah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:29 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I use an adhesive lined shrink wrap which seals between the cable and the copper lug when the cables are new.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #10
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Question Re: Battery Cable Maintenance

I drove the 04 PDS for 3 days before I charged it up. Don't do much night time riding anymore but I use it a good bit during the day. Can't get out of the park during night time so you can only ride so many times around the same trailers!
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO