lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
Bonee
Not Yet Wild

Default 1984 2 cycle engine engine diagram?

I was wondering if anybody could help me, I have a 1984 gas E-Z go cart
2 cycle engine and I'm trying to get to the pulser coil. Does anybody have a diagram of the engine or instructions of how to get to the pulser coil?
Thank You
Bonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1984 2 cycle engine engine diagram?

Hello Bonee and welcome to the forum. I have the manual at home and I can certainly post whatever you need later this afternoon. I can also give you step by step instructions on how to get where you want to be (as can many other knowledgeable folk here). However may I inquire as to why you want to do this? It is quite unusual for the pulsar to fail and I would hate to see you travel this road only to find it is not your destination. Perhaps we could make some tests first.
I appreciate that maybe you have already diagnosed a faulty pulsar but just in case .......

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
Bonee
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Dave, I would love to know how to test to see if pulser is bad, the cart has been setting a long time & mice have build nest inside the shroud & I was told to pull the flywheel to see if they have ate on the wires. This is my 1st gas cart, I have old electric carts
Old 01-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Well the test is real easy but it does require the use of a Multimeter.
First unplug the connector from the pulsar. It is a two pin with red and blue wires. Now with your multimeter set to ohms, connect to the part of the plug that goes back to the pulsar. You should see a reading of between 75 to 150 ohms. Now leaving one probe of the multimeter in the plug connect the other to any metal part of the engine. You should see an open circuit. Now repeat with the other pulsar wire. In this way we have ensured that neither wire is grounding to the chassis. As a final test you can reconnect the meter to the pulsar and with the meter set to the lowest ac range, crank the engine. You should see ~ 1/2 volt ac.

If all that checks out your pulsar is good and I promise you that is better than pulling the engine.

The most common issue with these older carts is corroded grounds. If you have no spark I recommend that you take the ground wires off the frame and then grind the ground point to bare metal. Also clean the ground lugs on the cables. You should have three. One from the negative of the battery, one to the forward / reverse switch and one to the engine block. For some reason this one seems to get lost and it is very important. Without it the engine will try to find another ground (and fail) sometimes using the choke cable.

If you need any more help shout out

Dave
Old 01-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
Bonee
Not Yet Wild

Wink Re: 1984 2 cycle engine engine diagram?

Thanks again Dave. the Pulser check out good, now would there be an easy way to check the Ignitor?
Old 01-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Sadly there is not. The manual states that the only way is to use a known good one to see if that cures the issue. What you can do is to rule out everything else first. I assume that you have no spark at all.

Dave
Old 01-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
Bonee
Not Yet Wild

Dave on the Electrical wiring Diagram, there is a wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid there is a fuse what's the size? There is a fuse on the R & F switch with no size listed on either fuse. I also need help, as I am new on these carts operations. I don't understand the operation of the limit switch either.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

As answered on your other thread forget the word "limit" it is meaningless. This is part of EZGO's dastardly plot to confuse you and make you use one of their dealers. In similar vein, the sensor is called the pulsar and the amplifier is called the ignitor even though if it did ignite you would be in deep trouble.

So what you have is the battery positive goes to one side of the solenoid. From here a wire goes to the ignition switch via a 10 amp fuse. The other side of the ignition switch goes to the microswitch on the accelerator and the other side of that switch goes to a small terminal on the solenoid. Thus with the ignition on and the throttle depressed 12 volts is applied to the solenoid which then (should) activate and provide power to the starter motor.

Some diagrams show another microswitch which is labeled "neutral limit switch" this will prevent the cart starting unless it is in gear. I assume that this was deleted on later models as it is not present on my 86.

Does that answer your question?

Dave
Old 01-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #9
Bonee
Not Yet Wild

I'm not getting the motor to turn over, is there a way to jump across something to get it to turnover? The wiring is right the limit switch checks OK the micro switch on R/F switch checks OK. all ground wires are good.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Sure, you can short across the two big terminals of the solenoid and the engine should crank. Try that and we can go from there.

Dave
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO