lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Default Last major issue F/R switch

This one is screwy.Forward works just fine, the rest of the electrical is all sorted.When I go for reverse though, you can literally watch the main ground cable jump from shorting out so heavily.The previous owner retired the cart and eventually gave it to me because of this problem.

I've had the switch apart before and cleaned it well, but since I wasn't looking for this problem I plan to take it apart again.I imagine this bad of a short would fry small wires pretty much instantly.I've had the starter/generator(starterator?) looked over by a local guy who I, and many other people, trust implicitly and he said there is nothing wrong with it.I can only think that it's somewhere in the switch.

Has anyone run into this?Is it repairable?

Thanks.
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
Old Ezra
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Last major issue F/R switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliarc View Post
This one is screwy.Forward works just fine, the rest of the electrical is all sorted.When I go for reverse though, you can literally watch the main ground cable jump from shorting out so heavily.The previous owner retired the cart and eventually gave it to me because of this problem.

I've had the switch apart before and cleaned it well, but since I wasn't looking for this problem I plan to take it apart again.I imagine this bad of a short would fry small wires pretty much instantly.I've had the starter/generator(starterator?) looked over by a local guy who I, and many other people, trust implicitly and he said there is nothing wrong with it.I can only think that it's somewhere in the switch.

Has anyone run into this?Is it repairable?

Thanks.
Heli,
I got my cart for sorta the same problem. There is really no way the switch can short. Look at it. It's just a contactor. It's one way or the other. Pretty black and white. I did the jump-test found here on the site to verify my startarator was good.
Mine was missing the ground from the F/R switch to the soleniod. Where it went?? Who knows. Got the wiring-Dia, traced them up, added the ground, and wallah she now purrs like a kitten.
Old Ezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

That's what I figured.When the switch is in one position, it seems like there's nothing in it that can short.Something's shorting for sure though, and it's a heavy one.I'll get a video of the ground cable jumping like it does.The only time I've seen electrical cables do that is when they're pulling some heavy current.I will check out the ground from the F/R switch.I have the wiring diagram as well.That's the only reason I was able to get started on it in the first place.The wiring was so buggered and I had no idea how to do it.It's getting late, but I should be able to get a video tomorrow.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:12 AM   #4
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Ezra View Post
Heli,
I got my cart for sorta the same problem.
Also forgot to ask.What exactly do you mean by "sorta the same"?Did you have a short like this, or just no reverse?
Old 05-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
Old Ezra
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliarc View Post
Also forgot to ask.What exactly do you mean by "sorta the same"?Did you have a short like this, or just no reverse?
No, mine had 12v to all the posts on the starter, except the charge-wire. No matter the switch-position, it would not start at-all. Added the missing ground and it now starts perfectly F/R. Did you try the jump-test on the starter?? I found it on here somewhere.
Old Ezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

I myself did not jump test the starter, but the guy who rebuilds all my alternators, starters, and other various DC electric motors bench tested it and verified that it does indeed run in both directions.I'll see if I can find how to jump test it though so I know for a fact, but I really trust this guy.As for the ground, it is there and hooked up.Your problem sounds pretty different to me.You had no juice going to the starter.I have juice in both directions, it just won't run backwards.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just a thought, will the engine turn in reverse by hand? My friend had a 2 stroke that ran fine forward, but the ring stuck in the exhaust port when you tried to run it in reverse. His would usually start to turn, but then make a " thud " and stop.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Yea, it'll turn over in reverse, just not with the starter.Maybe I can mount a pulley on the clutch so I can pull start it in reverse lol
Old 05-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #9
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok, another thought, check the starter - generator carefully on the terminal connections to see if maybe the insulators on the studs may be bad. It may have worked fine on a bench test, but your F - R switch changes the grounding on the A1 and A2 terminals. If the insulator is bad on whichever one is grounded for reverse, you'll have a direct short!
I think your problem is going to be a simple issue once it's figured out!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #10
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Will do.I'm going to have the engine out again anyhow so it'll be simple to yank the starter.I need to get the bolts on the head rearranged so the three big ones are lined up with the holes in that piece of steel.Right now it's just holding by that sheet that bolts to the muffler.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO