lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #11
PhilR
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1984 Marathon 2PG ?'s

Well another problem popped up. I found why the fuel pump is lacking in delivery.....the crank seals are sucking air. Also now the cart won't crank over unless I flip the F&R switch back and forth and then it will crank, fire and then die and won't crank again until I move the switch back and forth. So am I looking at a whole new switch?
PhilR is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #12
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

This is where I got my carburetor. They are forum sponsors and the price is right. In addition free shipping and a further 5% off if you use the code BG WILD.

http://www.everythingcarts.com/p-917...7-2-cycle.aspx

Your big issue will be the seals, without good seals you will never get the cart to run well. I don't think that the FR switch is causing the engine to die but clearly it is preventing it from starting. I had the same issue as my 86 had been left to die in the woods. The switch comes apart easily and I cleaned mine up with some emery boards and contact cleaner. It has worked fine ever since.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #13
PhilR
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I'll try to clean it first. It runs decent and I checked it myself spraying the front and rear seal so I might have been leaning more on the throttle but I can hear the solenoid click and the engine dies. Not sure how much I want to spend if i am going to swap engines but i need to make it dependable. Are there performance parts for this 2pg?
Old 06-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #14
Plato_99
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have an 85, it has a 45" belt. Been searching for a 1" shorter belt for the past month or so. I read lots of guys have are using the Dayco HP3400 belt. Tried AutoZone and other Dayco distributors, nothing. Everyone says it's a non-existent number.

Here's the Dayco catalog link with the search. Put HP3400 in the search box and see what you guys get, tells me "no records found for HP3400".

http://www.accessdayco.com/BuyersGuide.aspx

In the meantime I purchased the 45" EZ-GO belt for $54. Expensive but I needed it, when I find a 44" belt I'll buy it.
Plato_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #15
PhilR
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

That's because it's an HP3004 NOT 3400..... same numbers wrong order.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #16
Plato_99
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

You're right! Somehow for the past month I was searching for 3400 instead of 3004! I feel like a dunce! lol I even bought a $54 belt because I couldn't find it. Looking back over the numerous posts they all said HP3004. I musta had a little dyslexia going on...or maybe old age is creeping up...

Called the local AutoZone, they have it. $38.99 I ordered it.

Thanks!
Plato_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #17
PhilR
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

You are welcome and don't feel bad as I have done the same before. BTW I just installed mine and it fit great.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #18
PhilR
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

That belt made a HUGE difference. Unfortunately cleaning the switch didn't help much. The contacts inside are burnt up from making poor connections for a while so it looks like I have to get a new switch.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:40 AM   #19
PhilR
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I figured I would update this.....cart is now running great. I got the new FR switch installed last night along with the carb. The previous owner did away with a bunch of parts on the throttle cable and choke set-up so I am going to replace them with new stock pieces minus the gov setup. Other than that the wife is buzzing around the yard with it until I load it up and head to the camper.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO