lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
Race Chaser
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 83 Marathon. Intermittent spark.

I have a 83 Gas Marathon. Over the last several months, my cart has had a problem with what looks to me like intermittent spark. Most times when I get in it and hit the gas pedal, it starts and runs like a champ......but, on rare occasion, I get in and hit the gas pedal and it turns over good, but doesn't start. I've taken the spark plug out, turn the engine over, and the spark plug has no spark. It seems if I let it sit for a while, it will start.

Any help is appreciated......
Race Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

sounds like the coil to me. i know you can test it but im not sure what the ranges are.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
RSP
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 83 Marathon. Intermittent spark.

If that engine has points, points will do that
RSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

i forgot about the points. 83 must've been the last year for them.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:36 AM   #5
Race Chaser
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the replies. I thought about the coil, but didn't want to shell out the $$ and I don't know how to test it. I'm not sure if it has points or not.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:36 AM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Your cart does not have points, they were out of there in 1980. These carts do however suffer from grounding issues. If you follow the battery negative lead to the chassis you will find the ground point on the frame. You should remove the cables and clean the chassis to bare metal, also clean the cable lugs. Make sure that the strap from the ground point to the engine block is there and in good condition. If that does not fix it then I would pull appart the connector from the pulsar to the ignitor (it has a blue and a red wire) and clean that with a shot of WD40. If you still have issues shout out and we will go further.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
Race Chaser
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post
Your cart does not have points, they were out of there in 1980. These carts do however suffer from grounding issues. If you follow the battery negative lead to the chassis you will find the ground point on the frame. You should remove the cables and clean the chassis to bare metal, also clean the cable lugs. Make sure that the strap from the ground point to the engine block is there and in good condition. If that does not fix it then I would pull appart the connector from the pulsar to the ignitor (it has a blue and a red wire) and clean that with a shot of WD40. If you still have issues shout out and we will go further.

Dave
Thanks Dave. I have cleaned the ground connection to the chassis in the past (and will do it again when I get home)......but, there is no ground cable from the frame where the battery is conected to to the engine. You're saying there should be? Can I use any old piece of 14 or 16 guage wire to run a ground? Or do I need a larger piece. Thanks again.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
racin161
Gone Wild

That ground strap is the large braided type which you would see a a ground strap like the old 6 volt cars but I suppose you could use a battery cable with 2 eyelets one from the tab to one of the fan housing bolts K

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

i have a braided strap from the fan housing to the frame and the negative battery cable grounded to my solenoid bracket. hopefully i have enough grounds.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
Race Chaser
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fast67 View Post
i have a braided strap from the fan housing to the frame and the negative battery cable grounded to my solenoid bracket. hopefully i have enough grounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin161 View Post
That ground strap is the large braided type which you would see a a ground strap like the old 6 volt cars but I suppose you could use a battery cable with 2 eyelets one from the tab to one of the fan housing bolts K

LOU
Thanks. I was thinking I would probably need some heavy braided cable. I will pick some up and give that a try.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO