lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
jon anderson
Not Yet Wild

Question charging system help PLEASE

I looked in the forums before posting , i have a 04' gas yamaha i just bought. noticed slow cranking with new battery. so i checked voltage running and its 12.5

now i have been searching and found out i can ground the green wire @ s/g and put power to red/white and i get 12.8 max wide open. does this mean my s/g is bad ?

call or text if you can please

thanks for your time
jon anderson
229 456 0647
jon anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-29-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: charging system help PLEASE

We know that the starter section of the S/G is cranking the cart, so brushes are probably ok (same brushes are used for gen). You are correct, grounding the green wire applies full field current to the charging winding and should result in 15-16 volt output to the battery, providing that +12 volts is available on the R/W wire. You should not need to apply the 12 volts to the R/W wire as the cart wiring should be providing it. (but, you should check to make sure the R/W wire does have +12 v. before grounding the green wire). Make sure the GRN & R/W wires between the regulator and S/G are making solid contact (connectors sometime cause problems). You can also check continuity of the R/W and GRN wires coming out of the S/G. You should get a very low ohm reading (5 ohms) between the GRN & R/W if it's good. Hopefully you only have a wiring problem between the regulator and S/G. Hope this helps. - RAY

PS - Was late so didn't call or text !!
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:34 AM   #3
jon anderson
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstik40 View Post
We know that the starter section of the S/G is cranking the cart, so brushes are probably ok (same brushes are used for gen). You are correct, grounding the green wire applies full field current to the charging winding and should result in 15-16 volt output to the battery, providing that +12 volts is available on the R/W wire. You should not need to apply the 12 volts to the R/W wire as the cart wiring should be providing it. (but, you should check to make sure the R/W wire does have +12 v. before grounding the green wire). Make sure the GRN & R/W wires between the regulator and S/G are making solid contact (connectors sometime cause problems). You can also check continuity of the R/W and GRN wires coming out of the S/G. You should get a very low ohm reading (5 ohms) between the GRN & R/W if it's good. Hopefully you only have a wiring problem between the regulator and S/G. Hope this helps. - RAY

PS - Was late so didn't call or text !!
thanks for the kind reply

i found a few more test i have 6.5 ohm between green and red/white @ motor side.

i do have 12v on red/white wire

i tested voltage regulator but thought test was lame , lol ! basically all they wanted checked was gnd circuit .

i did grad a voltage regulator from a coolster kids atv and voltage did change from 12.8v to 12.5 .

i ordered new e bay voltage regulator

what is the small looking relay located in the black cover near solenoid do? it has 3 or 4 wires on it ?

my toys are more important than any sleep call anytime , lol 229 456 0647

thanks again
Old 12-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

From your test results, it seems that your S/G might be ok. I would try grounding the green wire again (try grounding directly to bat -) to see if the generator develops 15-16 volts at the battery. If this test doesn't generate the 15-16 volts, a new regulator probably won't help. Make sure the R/W wire has +12v at the S/G. Not sure where to go next on this.

The small black device you speak of may be your stop relay. My G16 wiring shows that the stop relay will have 2 black wires, one blue wire, and one red/white wire going to it. The stop relay grounds the ignition coil to kill the spark when it is de-energized. Good luck - RAY

P.S. - Did you get the wiring for your cart from the "stickies" yet ?? If not, you should get it. Will be a big help!
Old 12-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
jon anderson
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
From your test results, it seems that your S/G might be ok. I would try grounding the green wire again (try grounding directly to bat -) to see if the generator develops 15-16 volts at the battery. If this test doesn't generate the 15-16 volts, a new regulator probably won't help. Make sure the R/W wire has +12v at the S/G. Not sure where to go next on this.

The small black device you speak of may be your stop relay. My G16 wiring shows that the stop relay will have 2 black wires, one blue wire, and one red/white wire going to it. The stop relay grounds the ignition coil to kill the spark when it is de-energized. Good luck - RAY

P.S. - Did you get the wiring for your cart from the "stickies" yet ?? If not, you should get it. Will be a big help!
ok to be sure i did test correct---

i unplugged red/green (connector) @ s/g , foot pedal to the floor and using meter got 12.5 v harness side , then grounded motor side green wire to negitive of battery- no change.

do i need to remove pins from connector to ground green wire? maybe red/white needs 12v for the test ?
Old 12-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Your check for +12 v at the S/G confirms that you have continuity of the R/W wire to the S/G. You should then plug everything back in (which will apply +12v to the R/W wire at S/G. Now, with it all connected, ground the green wire (This applies full field current to the generator coil).and run the cart. Voltage at the bat., while running, should be 15-16 volts. Don't run it too long this way. If you do get 15-16 volts with this test, the S/G is working correctly and the regulator probably needs to be replaced. Good luck - RAY
Old 12-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
jon anderson
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Your check for +12 v at the S/G confirms that you have continuity of the R/W wire to the S/G. You should then plug everything back in (which will apply +12v to the R/W wire at S/G. Now, with it all connected, ground the green wire (This applies full field current to the generator coil).and run the cart. Voltage at the bat., while running, should be 15-16 volts. Don't run it too long this way. If you do get 15-16 volts with this test, the S/G is working correctly and the regulator probably needs to be replaced. Good luck - RAY
ok understand thanks goin to retest and let ya know
thanks so much for your time i'll gladly pay pal ya a few dollars for helpin !
jon a
Old 12-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #8
jon anderson
Not Yet Wild

ok i pulled the green wire outta the connector and grounded it (motor side) , got 15.0v . so the next step i did was re-connect the green wire in the connector and used a scotch lock on the green wire to ground got 15.0v again , i would say voltage regulator is bad
Old 12-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #9
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Those results would indicate a properly working S/G and probably a bad V/R. Let us know how it goes after replacing the regulator. You should check the new regulator operation by measuring battery voltage with the cart running in neutral. Proper voltage across the battery should be 14.5 - 15.5 volts at half throttle or so. Glad you got it sorted out. - RAY

PS - I forgot to mention that if a DVM is used for checking the regulator, it can give "goofy" readings (voltage readings can jump around). That's due to the DVM's sampling rate. An analog (moving needle) meter will give much better results for checking the S/G output.

Last edited by bigstik40; 12-30-2013 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: corrected proper output voltage
Old 12-31-2013, 06:19 AM   #10
jon anderson
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Those results would indicate a properly working S/G and probably a bad V/R. Let us know how it goes after replacing the regulator. You should check the new regulator operation by measuring battery voltage with the cart running in neutral. Proper voltage across the battery should be 14.5 - 15.5 volts at half throttle or so. Glad you got it sorted out. - RAY

PS - I forgot to mention that if a DVM is used for checking the regulator, it can give "goofy" readings (voltage readings can jump around). That's due to the DVM's sampling rate. An analog (moving needle) meter will give much better results for checking the S/G output.

OK THANK AGAIN SO MUCH ! also for the old school meter tip

if in need of help to or from florida look me up in so. ga. exit 39 & 75
229 456 0647 c

ck me out on space book https://www.facebook.com/pages/Georg...0699556?ref=hl
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha