lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #1
donnie5336
Not Yet Wild

Default 1996 295cc Rebuild question

I have no compression on one cylinder, and I stuck a screwdriver down the spark plug hole and turned the engine by hand and the screwdriver did not come up, so I'm assuming broken rod. Funny thing is, there was never any "clanking" or loud knocking, just lost power one day. Anyway, I have the rebuild manual, and I don't see anything in there that I don't feel comfortable doing, but it seems to me that following that manual would be adding extra un-necessary steps if I'm just planning on replacing pistons and rods and probably valves and whatever gaskets are needed (assuming my crankshaft is good). After cylinder head removal, the next instructions go into opening up the crankcase. Is this necessary to get the rods off the crank or can you get to it by just removing the head?
donnie5336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-19-2014, 11:49 AM   #2
racin161
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1996 295cc Rebuild question

Welcome to BGW I'm sure your going to find you are going to have to split the crankcase unless you have a oil pan of some sort to access the crank and rods. I don't have a 295 but just lifting the heads off of any engine will not give access to the connecting rod bolts.. Keep us posted!! with pics if possible.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
donnie5336
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin161 View Post
Welcome to BGW I'm sure your going to find you are going to have to split the crankcase unless you have a oil pan of some sort to access the crank and rods. I don't have a 295 but just lifting the heads off of any engine will not give access to the connecting rod bolts.. Keep us posted!! with pics if possible.

LOU
Thanks Lou. Looks like I'll be splitting the case. In that case I'll go ahead and order a complete rebuild kit. I already have the engine out of the cart, just have to start taking it apart.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #4
ttcfan4476
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

if this is your first time rebuilding a engine its best to stick to the guide. you pick up tips and tricks to take short cuts and how to do things faster buy doing it over and over again. are you going to hone the cylinders does it need bored,is the a deep scratch in the cylinder that broke. you don't know if the crank is good without checking it. for your first time follow the guide and you will thank yourself in the long run. im not trying to come off as a a**hole just saying with no experience you will have questions that many people here can answer but the book will tell you without having to look it up on the computer.
ttcfan4476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:34 PM   #5
wide'iwas
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I rebuilt my 98 last winter and used the manual..it has timing diagrams for lifter cams..also watch the small o ring on crankcase gasket ...it seals the oil passage from the pump through crankcase...it will be no problem
wide'iwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:22 PM   #6
donnie5336
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the tips guys. And ttcfan no worries, I didnt take it like you were coming off that way. I've rebuilt other engines but most of my work has been on 2 stroke motocross bikes. Just looking for any pointers that the book may not have given.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2014, 12:19 AM   #7
mcdave71
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

open it up first before ordering any parts. You don't know what you need until you check everything over carefully.
mcdave71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:51 AM   #8
donnie5336
Not Yet Wild

Ok, engine apart, broken rod. Got the rebuild kit, cleaned engine and am in the process of rebuilding now. Cylinders have been honed and now I am assembling the pistons to the rods. I can't for the life of me get the snap rings in the grooves to hold the wrist pin in place. It is very tight. I've tried slightly compressing them with needle nose pliers, tried prying them in with a flat blade screwdriver, nothing. Not even close to getting them in. Does anybody have any tricks or tips for doing this? I've never seen a piston that had snap rings this hard to get in. It's just a solid round gap ring also, not a true snap ring so you can't use snap ring pliers.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:11 PM   #9
racin161
Gone Wild

Post a pic if you can but i'm thinking your talking about a spiral lock YES ?? if so slightly open it up and start the end then roll it in If you think getting it in is hard you should try to remove them LOL.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:07 PM   #10
firemedic89
Not Yet Wild

In the middle of a 295 rebuild myself, keep us updated and little tricks you find along the way feel free to post !!!! I did have a broken piston rod myself and had to take emery cloth to the crank, waiting on parts now. Keep us posted !!!
firemedic89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO