lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-26-2014, 05:52 PM   #1
MandoThrasher
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Too much smokey exhaust!

EZGO TXT 2001 Robin Engine EH29C

I feel like my cart puts out too much smoke/exhaust. It's not really that visible when you're riding, but its dark grey when you can see it from a dead stop. It tends to smoke more when starting, but really it stinks the whole time its running. I can ride for 10 minutes and my clothes smell like smoke/gas something terrible, as if I had been walking behind a push mower for an hour.

What is considered a normal amount of exhaust?

Does it sound like I need a carburetor adjustment?
MandoThrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-26-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
ATOMIC_BADBOY
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Too much smokey exhaust!

Does it smell like oil? mabey you need piston rings or valve seals. A friend of mine had a 4 stroke and it started smoking pretty bad and it was rings. Ran great but smoked.
ATOMIC_BADBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:26 PM   #3
MandoThrasher
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Oh, that reminds me - a few months back I added oil up to the full mark on the dipstick. A few days later, the cart died and I get around to discovering that the air filter was completely soaked in oil. I guess the full mark on the dipstick was not meant to be taken literally. Somehow the excess oil made its way back out through the carburetor. I replaced the filter and didn't have any more issues with oil coming back into the filter box. I figured that it had worked itself out (maybe that explains why my spark plugs were nasty). I guess its possible that I'm burning oil and that's the source of the smell?
MandoThrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:03 PM   #4
wide'iwas
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

You are on right track ...I have done this and it smoked..but I have had my 94 cart smoke on take off and replacing valve seals fixed this problem
wide'iwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:22 PM   #5
ATOMIC_BADBOY
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

your muffler could be oil soaked also. try running it hard for a while to get it hot and hopefully burn the oil out.
ATOMIC_BADBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:07 AM   #6
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

With a lift kit it tilts the motor forward, then the full line is not correct and overfull causes oil sucked up the crankcase vent tube to the carburetor.

I would drain the oil, then add 1.5 quarts and mark a new full line.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:58 AM   #7
therealmccoy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Do the valve seals, if it smokes when you start it when it's cold and it smokes it all it can be. I had the same thing my seals were hard as a rock and one was stuck half way up the valve. No smoke now. And it's cheap and easy, good plac to start
therealmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:44 AM   #8
ttcfan4476
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Your engine takes 1.5 quarts of oil. Drain it and fill it with 1.5 and mark your dip stick. It maybe off if your cart is lifted.

Sent from my SCH-R960 using Tapatalk 2
ttcfan4476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:51 PM   #9
misterpowertools
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

blueish smoke is oil and grey is from excess fuel (rich mixture). You may have had some oily smoke, but if after you get the level right and clear that muffler, you still have smoke, you may need a carb adjustment. Some clean spark plugs will tell the story. Run a fresh set and read them after a some good run time.
misterpowertools is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO