lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-26-2014, 06:38 PM   #1
caycemuffinman
Not Yet Wild

Default 4 stroke HEI conversion

Hey everybody, new guy here looking for some help. I have a 96 ez-go workhorse with a 295 Robins engine. The ignitor ears broke off which in turn lead to the orange wire breaking at the connection point.

I have seen some posts of people doing a conversion to the GM HEI system but those all seem to be for the 2-stroke. I read a couple of replies where people did the 4 stroke but with parts laying around like an MSD box, which I dont just have laying around. My question is has anybody went to the parts store and bought just the GM module and used it to power the 4-stroke coils? If any other parts where used then please tell me. Tell me your experience and how it worked out. I dont want to start a new thread later saying its not running right or any other stuff. Any help is much appreciated and thank you for your time.
caycemuffinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-26-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 4 stroke HEI conversion

Well the modification works well on the two stroke but when I asked guys to post if they had made it work on the four stroke all I got was the sound of crickets chirping and tumble weed blowing across the screen.

I suspect that the HEI unit does not have the power to supply two coils which is what the 4 stroke coil in effect is.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:57 PM   #3
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

The problem is that the 295 ignitor has a built in electronic ignition advance. You won't have advance if you go to an HEI.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:28 AM   #4
caycemuffinman
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the replies, Its has been very quiet when discussion the 4 stroke conversion. One post had a person using an MSD box but I dont just have one laying around. The ignitor is $130 off ebay and alot for through EZ-GO. If you know where I can find one alot cheaper please let me know. Thanks for the input so far.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #5
jeffrun
Gone Wild

i have a used one off my 95 medalist,295. it was a running cart,except for the blown 295. 15.00, includes shipping.
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:21 PM   #6
caycemuffinman
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrun View Post
i have a used one off my 95 medalist,295. it was a running cart,except for the blown 295. 15.00, includes shipping.
Jeff, I would love to buy it right now but dont know a way to get in touch with you. I havent made enough posts to use the PM system yet. If you can send me your email I can pay through paypal or however you would like. That would be a really big help and thank you very much.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:22 PM   #7
caycemuffinman
Not Yet Wild

Jeff, see above. Hopefully this gets in touch with you. Thank you sir again.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:56 PM   #8
jeffrun
Gone Wild

send email to jeffellen55@charter.net. When i receive your email i will give you the paypal info.
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO