lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2014, 09:32 PM   #21
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: G2 & G1 clutch spring

Just trying to help.

Of course you can preload the stock spring harder and get similar results. Mostly issue is the stock spring is usually shot because its 1,000 years old in 'spring' years. More preload will make it rev all the time but run about the same WOT, more preload you set the higher the rpm at part throttle. Lots of twist it will run WOT rpm all the time or the cart will not go until it revs up high....once you get moving of course. But the umax works nicer as you don't need it to rev that much as you go faster, and rpm does not drop that much at higher speeds with the umax anyway you just feel it shift more.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2014, 10:13 PM   #22
Cvans
Gone Wild

Yamaha

That's the problem I was running into. RPM's were to low and had to run wide open. Not any more though. Nice linear acceleration and 1/2 throttle get's you half speed. Not a hill climber like before but the diesel's torque can handle it and it runs down the road nicely. Next thing will be a set lights so I can get it licensed. Then I have to work on the appearance. Looks like a parts bin on wheels now.
Cvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:43 PM   #23
plk1222
Gone Wild
Yamaha

How do you install the spring? How much do you preload it?
plk1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #24
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You would have to look up the preload for a umax cart, but I'd guess B2 like stock, or about one ramps worth (iirc 120 degrees or 1/3 a turn). You don't need any preload it will work I tried it, problem is with no preload it will overshift when you spin in snow/mud/etc and your rpm will drop. One ramp worth is pretty mild setting and will work. The secondary comes off much easier once you had it off, so not that hard to reset it. You might have to use some 2x4/etc to pry it shut because it certainly has more zip. It will make your arms tired much faster than the stock one, when you install it.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:07 PM   #25
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Sho,I put the Umax in our G16,When you take off,occasionally you will hear the ramps slam the helix,then it takes off,I set it at B2,No Preload,just pushed it straight in.It seems a little sluggish on hills too.Should I try turning it 1-ramp?The cart is lifted,22" tires,no govenor,stock motor.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:43 PM   #26
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachanga90 View Post
Sho,I put the Umax in our G16,When you take off,occasionally you will hear the ramps slam the helix,then it takes off,I set it at B2,No Preload,just pushed it straight in.It seems a little sluggish on hills too.Should I try turning it 1-ramp?The cart is lifted,22" tires,no govenor,stock motor.
Yes you must preload the Umax style spring. Setting B-2 (is good) then turn the sliding sheave about a 1/4 turn till it's past the ramp shoe's.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:25 PM   #27
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Ok,Thanks Dave!!
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:05 PM   #28
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Yes B2 should turn one ramp against the spring, same for stock spring. The umax is strong enough it works fine without preload but it should be run with. At low rpm it didn't change my rpm that much from B2 to no preload. By 'no' I set it in a hole where it had just a little pressure on the ramps not much at all maybe 1/4 of a ramp turn. Problem with too little preload is it does not shift back up very fast when you slow and then gas it, and if you spin the rpms drop while spinning in sand/snow/etc.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:41 PM   #29
plk1222
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I have a comet primary clutch would a UMAX spring help with lowend torque or should i put the stock spring in it? My old G9 i used it plenty of times in stock form to push start race cars. Want more for trail riding
plk1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:00 PM   #30
Field6565
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by plk1222 View Post
I have a comet primary clutch would a UMAX spring help with lowend torque or should i put the stock spring in it? My old G9 i used it plenty of times in stock form to push start race cars. Want more for trail riding
What kind of cart? Stock motor?
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha