lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
Pharmboy9
Not Yet Wild

Default G22 steering problem

My 2006 g22 steering box does not have a positive feel it feels like the cylinder is broken in the housing and my wheels are toed out. This happened after letting my son drive and he hit a big rock with the front wheel. Is it possible to break the rod in the box? If so how hard is it to replace or can it be rebuilt?
Pharmboy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: G22 steering problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmboy9 View Post
My 2006 g22 steering box does not have a positive feel it feels like the cylinder is broken in the housing and my wheels are toed out. This happened after letting my son drive and he hit a big rock with the front wheel. Is it possible to break the rod in the box? If so how hard is it to replace or can it be rebuilt?
The rack and pinion steering on a G22 can have several bent components when the front tires hit something really hard. First, look at the "arm,knuckles" (they look like little "S" plates), they should be very flat, not bent or twisted. The "tie rod's" can also get bent (pull back the rubber boots) and see if the "ball end" is parralell or bent. The "rack, gear" inside of the housing can also get bent, best way to check is jack up the front end and use your finger to turn the steering wheel from lock to lock, If you feel any binding/tight spot, most likely the gear, rack is bent. Yes you can buy individual parts for rebuilding, but if the gear rack is bent and you keep driving it, it will damage the bushing (none replaceable anymore) and you'd need a new housing also. The worst case, buy a new rack and pinion assy and use the old tie rod ends that bolt to the s arms. Soory for the long post. Good luck!
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha