lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2015, 01:10 PM   #1
egregoryjr
Not Yet Wild

Default Slow 2002 CC DS

I have a 2002 Club Car DS. Two seasons ago cart began to slow to about 75%of it normal speed. It would struggle to make in uphill, although it had no problem making 27+ holes on one charge. Last year after a little research I decided to replace the 6 year old batteries, with no change in performance.

Last month, I purchased a DD22 motor. After installing the motor, the cart ran like a dream, faster then it has ever been, for about 2 weeks or about 72-90 holes. About 2 weeks ago I took the cart out to play in a tournament and on the 3rd hole it slowed to a crawl. Through the next 15 holes it would go for a short distance at its regular speed and then back to a crawl for a while. Over the next several days I searched for answers with little luck (websites, forums, friends, family, auto mechanics, electricians). The closest dealer is about 70 miles away and none seem willing to provide much help over the phone.

Here is what I've noted:

2002 Club Car DS with 1 year old batteries, stock Curtis 1204-410 36-48v 225amps controller.

wire from motor S2 to F/R Switch warmer than other wires. It was not "hot" just noticeably warmer.

no other wires were hot or abnormally warm. (battery cables, solenoid cables, controller cables, motor cables except for S2)

Replaced the F/R switch because the contacts did seemed to be a little lose. After getting the new "HD" switch i noticed that the old switch's spring did not have as much tension as the new switch.

no change in performance

Checked and clean all wire connections. (two wrench on motor and solenoid)

no change in performance

Had each 8 volt battery load test. All good (batteries and cables on the batteries were 1 year old in April)

replaced the solenoid just to eliminate that possibility.

still no change in performance

Battery volt reading

battery pack =50.3
8.42 8.41 8.40 8.38 8.40 8.36

with volt meter on the battery pack :

full reverse about 20 yards, flat ground- steady 49.8v
stopped 50.3v

from dead stop, press the pedal to full down for about a 150 yards fairly flat ground.
volts drop to 45.5v and increase to a steady 47.8v at full speed.
stopped 49.5v

turned around

from dead stop, press the pedal to full down for about a 150 yards

volts drop to 45.6v and increase to a steady 47.7v at full speed

at 100 yards cart begins to slow, volts slowly increase to 48.8v. ( as the cart slows the voltages went up.)

turned and went down an incline (about 30 degrees), pick up speed, turned around after about 30 yards then back up.

up hill at a crawl, volts 47.9v

volts slow increase to 48.8v after reaching flat ground, still at a crawl.
Stopped 50.0v

above is basically is what I sent to the company I got the motor from, ask for help or suggestions. their response was the stock controller maybe shutting down. and suggested to get a new 400amp controller. I don't mind buying a new controller if that is the problem, I just would like to now that's the problem before I spend another $400 and still not be the issue.

Any Ideas on what to check, test, probe, prod?
egregoryjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2015, 07:31 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: Slow 2002 CC DS

I notice you said nothing about brakes. Check for dragging brakes. The sliders can stick and cause the shoes to drag. Also check tire pressure I use 20 psi. Then the throttle control it may be flaking out on you. Other will chime in that know more than me.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:27 PM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Measure how far you have to depress the accelerator pedal before you hear the MCOR "click" from underneath the floor. You may have a worn drive bar and are unable to achieve 100% throttle because of it.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:45 PM   #4
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

There's a super cheaperino fix if it has THIS COMMON ISSUE, identified by Tahoe above.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car