lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-17-2016, 02:13 PM   #1
twobore
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Yami G1 engine rebuild questions

I have two questions (sorry they're so long):

1) Has anyone fabricated any G1 engine special tools? I'm getting ready to pull my engine for a total rebuild including splitting the lower case to replace all the crankshaft bearings. I have a online shop manual and so have pictures of the special tools but it's difficult to scale off those drawings so I thought, before I reinvent the wheel, I'd see if others have adapted or made any tools of their own. The Primary Sheave Puller looks fairly simple to fabricate and if someone has a commercial version and could give me the measurements I'd be grateful (or specs of their own design welcome). Any other ideas much appreciated. Most of the other pullers (ie; 3-way Puller, Crankcase Separator) look like standard commercial pullers can be modified to work but appreciate your thoughts on these too.

2) I have a machinist friend who has the heavy presses required to disassemble and reassemble the crankshaft which I will need to do to replace the connecting rod lower end needle bearing. Problem is I cannot find a spec for that bearing. Upper, no problem, but the lower needle bearing spec is not listed in the shop manual nor on any of the cart shop parts lists that I've searched. If anyone can help identify this P/N I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

Twobore
twobore is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-17-2016, 02:34 PM   #2
Mr. Mike
It's Beer Time!

Yamaha

Default Re: Yami G1 engine rebuild questions

twobore somebody will chime in soon. I haven't had a chance to rebuild a g1. I have rebuilt a few 4 stroke Yamaha golf cart engines. They're all fairly simple engines. As far as the clutch puller bolt. I thought long and hard with my first rebuild whether I could fabricate some sort of puller bolt. If you have the means to do so then go for it. I came to the conclusion that a stupid $40 puller bolt could make or break the project and I didn't want to ruin something because I didn't want to buy the right tool for the job. So I went ahead and bought it. I've now used it many times. You never know when you need to pull a clutch off again.

As far as the bearing on the crankshaft. I don't know anyone who has ever replaced the bearing only. Most people replace the whole crankshaft. Small block or CG Tech may tell you the info that you're looking for.

Good luck with the rebuild.
Mr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:46 PM   #3
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Just rebuilt my g1 I was in the same boat as you was going to build clutch puller well the thread is 14mm-1.00 pitch... Was impossible to find a bolt that size and pitch so I ended up buying one.... Split case and took off/ pressed new bearings on with shop press. Make sure you take it apart and find out what piston is in it mine was supposed to be untouched but it had a .5mm over piston in it so I went with 1.0mm over and took it to local machine shop to get bored out(doing it this way is way cheaper than buying the "top end kits" that come with new cylinder)...as for connecting rod main bearing I just reused the old one it still feels smooth good luck they are a simple motor to do
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:49 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I ponied up the bucks for the clutch puller, money well spent! See pic.

To get the crank out and split the case I used a generic puller like the one in the pic, but you'll need some metric sized all thread rod, I think it's 10 mm? Once you get the flywheel off you can size the holes up. The manual might say I forget. It worked well. I still have it. I also use it for the secondary clutch.

I replaced crank and bearings so I froze the crank overnight in the freezer, warmed the bearings up on the grill (low on a tray) and they slipped right together. Also put the crank and bearings in the freezer to install them in the cases. Worked great. Use grey Permatex silicone in between the cases. Lube all your parts with straight 2 cycle oil.

To get the seals on, lube the crank, slip them on, use a socket to tap them in gently, or a large wood dowel if you can find one. Rubber mallet of course.

I just did the whole enchilada, jug, piston, crank with new rod attached, bearings, seals...cost about $500-$600 total. Fired on first try. Loved that engine!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clutch puller.jpg (18.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg puller.jpg (20.1 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:57 PM   #5
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

The lower rod bearing(1ea) is P/N 93310-42497-00
The side washers(2ea) are P/N 90209-24073-00

1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:40 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989Marathon View Post
The lower rod bearing(1ea) is P/N 93310-42497-00
The side washers(2ea) are P/N 90209-24073-00

Very nice work marathon, this thing should be going in no time..
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:00 PM   #7
twobore
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

This is great information, slonomo. TYVM. I especially appreciate the suggestion to freeze/warm crank and bearings for easy installation - great idea. I have a generic puller similar to your illustration and will start tracking down some metric threaded rod. Also the exploded view of the moving parts is very helpful. First time I've seen this. I may have to pop for a clutch puller too. We have a local store called "Mr Metric" that has a lot of hard to find bolt sizes so I might still be able to fabricate something (I'm retired, fixed income. More time than money haha).

One question comes to mind. Did you install your oil seals first in each case half before final assembly or did you wait until you had the crank in place and the case bolted up? It seems like it would be much easier to tap those in nice and square, flat on the bench without maneuvering around the shafts and then slip the case halves, complete with installed oil seals carefully over the shafts but I don't want to take a chance on buggering them up either.

Thanks again for your comments. I welcome any further thoughts you may have.

Twobore
twobore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:58 PM   #8
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

i put my seals in after i had the case back together that way you can see when the bearings are all the way seated in the case halves just lube up the crank a little and around the seal where it runs on the crank and you shouldn't have a problem
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:40 PM   #9
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Just did one yesterday, I intalled the bearings and seals in the case first. I then used the press to install the crank in one case halve, then put Yamabond on one case halve, then pressed the other case halve on. I also fitting the rings and installing the piston into the bottom of the cylinder (with the piston pin clip on the fan side), with a helper, slid the cylinder over the studs till the pin would slide thru, installed the other clip and slid the cylinder down on the base gasket. It is much easier that way. Good luck on your rebuild
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:14 PM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Seals in last.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...ting-cart.html
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha