lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-31-2018, 12:43 PM   #1
glennster
Not Yet Wild

Default '93 yamaha G9 driven clutch install help

Just bought a clean G9 and the secondary clutch inner sheave bearing was toast. Got it all apart and have a kit coming to rebuild it, came apart OK but what procedure or tool are you all using to install the clutch back on the shaft and reinstall against the spring. It has no snap ring just the spacer on the main shaft. Thanks for the help in advance
glennster is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-31-2018, 12:57 PM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: '93 yamaha G9 driven clutch install help

You have to get creative with a ratchet strap From a post in the stickies...

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...tructions.html

10. Install the new washer/spacer with the hollow part toward the inside of the shaft, flat part facing you
11. Reinstall the coupler/housing
12. Install the new spring
13. Lightly grease the shaft and inner bushing on the inner sheave
14. Reinstall the inner sheave
Note: very high-tension spring
Take the ratcheting tie down strap and place it around the inner sheave, top of shaft, and around the passenger side and rear frame (make sure you can easily get to the ratchet part of the tie down and that it is very secure)
Slowly start to tighten the tie down (you will have to at times move the inner sheave back and forth or up and down and push on it to keep it from sticking sideways on the shaft)
15. Reinstall the half moon key and outer sheave
16. Reinstall the nut hand tight and remove the tie down strap
17. Place the wedge of wood between frame and both outer edges of sheaves again (top toward the ground this time) lightly hammer in place and tighten the nut
18. Reinstall belt, tire, and wheel
19. Recheck everything to make sure it is tight, no grease on either sheave, belt, etc?
20. Take off and enjoy the ability to climb anything
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:01 PM   #3
glennster
Not Yet Wild

New nylon washer between the sheaves? Some say throw it away. Thanks for the fast reply Dave.
glennster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 04:10 PM   #4
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Toss it.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 02:28 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Get a cut sheave then you can really climb stuff. I put mine on by hand however I can stick the key in and it fits tight and will hold the movable sheave on while I get the outer and put it on the key with nut. Its more of a challenge with the umax I have put the sheave on with spring (and you have to do your prelaod here if you use a stock or umax spring) and then pry it back with a 1 by board, hold it, get the outer on the key and nut on. This is similar to using the ratchet straps. You have to hold it behind the ramps to keep the preload.

One thing you might want is a new nut, if the nylon gets trashed they like to come loose. With huge springs the old ones have been known to strip out the threads.

Just me but I don't like huge springs, the umax worked great on my stock engine. I use a stock spring now with the clone. I also ran a cut sheave and HD kevlar belt from cpp on the stock engine with the umax, it was a great setup for stock power on 22 tires. The price went way up for umax the other day they used to be $15, so not sure what to say about that. Umax spring is the yamaha stock utility cart spring.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha