lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-08-2021, 09:55 AM   #11
Murby
Gone Wild

Default Re: Battery exploded!!

I can't imagine a spark INSIDE the battery.. the ignition source (spark) must have been something external.. most likely a bad connection.

The battery compartment is not sealed so gasses should never build up to that extent.. That said, if there was that much gas, then I would be inclined to think that the batteries had been over-charged to the point of heavy gassing, which would point to a bad charger.

A long time ago, a neighbor of mine had a trolling motor and he was continuously buying batteries as he couldn't get one to last more than a single season.
As it turned out, the 120 volt plug he was using for the charger wasn't wired correctly, which somehow screwed up the charger's ability to sense a full charge, which caused it to continuously overcharge the battery every time he used it.

I would think a modern charger wouldn't be susceptible to that, but who knows.
Murby is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-08-2021, 10:18 AM   #12
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Sparks happen inside a battery if there is a connection failure! I have seen it happen.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:40 AM   #13
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Please post a photo of your exploded battery ... not sure if it will help in the post mortem but it will be interesting to see.
ThreeCW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 04:57 PM   #14
Whitaker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Pics

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Whitaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 08:09 PM   #15
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Are those the original batteries? When did they start putting Trojans in new carts? Maybe the dealer had a previous problem with the batteries.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 09:25 PM   #16
Whitaker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
Are those the original batteries? When did they start putting Trojans in new carts? Maybe the dealer had a previous problem with the batteries.
Yep, they came with the cart.
2021 Club Car Onward 48v HP AC drive. Bought it in late August.

Old 11-08-2021, 11:31 PM   #17
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

CC website shows the 2021 Onward comes stock with T-875 batteries with a watering system. It doesn't appear that you have the watering system. Did you remove it? Just curious.
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 06:14 AM   #18
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

Since the charger showed warning lights and assuming that you have an Eric charger, you can plug a formatted usb drive into it and download the data from it to see if there were any faults, alarms, amp hours returned etc...Might give you a clue as to if the charger might have caused it or not...You have to download the idat software from Delta Q's website onto your computer to read the data from the usb drive...

https://delta-q.com/software-accessories/
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 07:36 AM   #19
Whitaker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCNorth View Post
CC website shows the 2021 Onward comes stock with T-875 batteries with a watering system. It doesn't appear that you have the watering system. Did you remove it? Just curious.
No, it didn't come with the watering system.

Old 11-09-2021, 08:21 AM   #20
jws2010CC
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Speaking from experience..... This was a very similar situation to what I had a year or so ago. I also had just removed the caps from my trojan batteries to check water levels. After my "explosion" and pondering why did this happen, I believe I failed to secure a cap properly. The caps had all been "snapped" into place or so I thought. I took the cart for a spin and within 100 yards of moving/jostling, water seeped out and created an arc to the post. Ultimately igniting the gasses inside that battery. It was the same model Trojan on a 2010 Precedent. It was also only one battery on the passenger side. My damage to the battery was from the post to the cell, but did not crack. It created a bulge on that corner. I'm glad for you that no one got hurt or that there was more damage.
jws2010CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car