lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-16-2021, 10:04 PM   #1
Coronadave
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Precedent dead until charger wakes it up?

If my leave my cart for like a week with out use the f/R switch won’t do anything .but once I hook up the charger and the charger clicks , the back up buzzer goes off telling my cart is alive and working why? It’s not the switch I’ve replaced it and it still does the same thing .
Coronadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-16-2021, 10:22 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Precedent dead until charger wakes it up?

Sounds like the OBC is locking out the controller.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 11:32 PM   #3
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Have you tried resetting the OBC to see if this solves the problem?
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:31 AM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

This is normal when the OBC does not detect that the charger has been plugged into the cart, it goes into storage mode and disables the controller.
Two ways to correct that.
When you get on the cart Key On, FnR in R, if the buzzer does not sound apply the throttle full to the floor and release, wait 2-3 seconds, if the buzzer still does not sound then repeat again and the OBC and controller should wake up and then function as normal.

The other way is the leave the charger plugged into the cart at all times. This way when the charger is unplugged the OBC will wake up and enable the controller.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 11:53 AM   #5
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Sorry. I thought he meant he had the charger plugged in those two weeks, unplugged it and cart would not go. Then, plugged the charger back in and it would go. I see that I was wrong. I thought the controller might be holding the fault code.
Another case of FairTax4Me to the rescue. I'm gonna buy you a cap and mask! And, one for CP241, too.
Old 11-17-2021, 12:43 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCNorth View Post
Sorry. I thought he meant he had the charger plugged in those two weeks, unplugged it and cart would not go. Then, plugged the charger back in and it would go. I see that I was wrong. I thought the controller might be holding the fault code.
Another case of FairTax4Me to the rescue. I'm gonna buy you a cap and mask! And, one for CP241, too.
I prefer cap and coke
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:01 PM   #7
Coronadave
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yes it’s done it since I purchased the cart so I ordered a new f/r switch awhile back thinking it was the switch and I’ve even swapped out batteries so it had to do a reset at that time of battery swap. But yes after like a week I try to go forward or reverse and nothing. I stick the charger in the whole and it’s alive instantly!
Coronadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 12:30 AM   #8
FatBusting
Not Yet Wild

I agree with the other posters thinking it's the OBC. I don't see anything in the controller that would cause the condition you describe. I'd suggest a $21 digital voltage probe for voltage testing, but a multimeter works as well. The advantage of a probe is one end clips to the negative battery connected by 10 feet of wire to the probe and, so it is a simple touch operation. Also don't be afraid of wiring diagrams, they are your friend. Simple testing would have shown your old switch was or wasn't the problem.

I'd start by checking the ballast resistor on the solenoid. Simply look for voltage on the battery side of the solenoid and on the switched side, with the key on, but don't touch the accelerator or charger. With the key on, the battery side of the the solenoid will read battery voltage (charged 38v or 50v) and on the other side, it should be about 1v less. If the resistor is bad, it will read 0volt. If it is 0v, the resistor is either bad or needs cleaning.

There are also 4 fuses going to the OBC.

Before buying a new OBC, there are several videos on yourtube showing how to bypass the OBC.
FatBusting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 01:29 AM   #9
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I prefer cap and coke
C A P E. Wish I could blame spell checker.

Yep, your wife and I could be great friends.
Old 11-18-2021, 05:58 AM   #10
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

Try unplugging the OBC 6-pin connector and jump the white and blue wires on the harness side (not the obc side) of the connector with a paper clip..That will bypass the lockout side of the obc..If that works you can make the connection permanent by cutting and joining those 2 wires together and plugging the connector back in so that the cart will still charge normally...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car