lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-14-2010, 10:19 PM   #1
ace_ripper
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default '89 G2 charity case

Hi All~

So I'm working on a '89 G2 with several issues. The cart belongs to an older couple on disability and a fixed income. I'm doing what I can to get it running again, but I think I may need some help here.

This is what I've found so far:
Fouled spark plug (BP5ES)
Missing airbox straps
Dipstick seal worn and leaking onto belts
Broken oil hose to Valve Cover
cracked breather hose to VC
Air/Fuel needle is actually bent at the end
Front motor mounts have cracks in the rubber dampener
Missing torque cable
Valves out of adjustment (In tight / Ex loose)

Here is what I've been able to take care of:
New plug (BPR2ES)
Air box straps I happen to have
Used good dipstick from another cart in-house
Replaced oil hose
Trimmed off the bad end on the breather hose
Manufactured my own torque cable with an eye bolt (matched up the play with another G2 I had in-house)

I was having a hard time keeping the intake valve adjusted to I took the head off for a better look. The exhaust valve checks out in spec. The intake seat on the valve is cupped pretty bad. I did what I could to try and lap it back to a better seal and have a new one on order (they don't know that )

The cart does run now, but is having a hard time starting cold. I'm getting some backfire through the carb every once in a while I expect that is the bad intake valve as well as the air/fuel needle. I also get the rare backfire from the exhaust when going downhill. Not sure what that is yet. Compressions is about 155psi now (was 140ish).

They really can't afford the parts let alone my shop rate so I'm doing what I can to help them out without charging them labor. These folks were one of my very first customers and good people having a rough time right now.

I think what I need next will be the air/fuel needle. I can't find just a needle anywhere. Everyone wants to sell me the whole carb rebuild kit. I can't drop $106 actual cash for charity. Does anyone out there have one they are willing to donate? I will pay shipping no prob.

Once I get the needle and the new valve I'll update with the backfire issues.

Thanks ALL in advance!!!
ace_ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-15-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: '89 G2 charity case

I wish I had the parts you need. You are doing a great thing...nice guy!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
ace_ripper
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Hey guys~

Has anyone been able to find a decent needle rolling around their garage?

There has to be a spare out there somewhere.

Won't you please
Old 07-16-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

the plug should be a br4es ngk just so you know. don't know if the bpr4es is mutch different.
airbox straps can be replaced with heavy elastic bands.
oil hose is just 1/4'' fuel line and the breather line is 5/16ths.
sabercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
ace_ripper
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Here is a pic of the needle I'm trying to get replaced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G2 Needle (BAD).JPG (42.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-24-2010, 01:42 AM   #6
ace_ripper
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabercat View Post
the plug should be a br4es ngk just so you know. don't know if the bpr4es is mutch different.
airbox straps can be replaced with heavy elastic bands.
oil hose is just 1/4'' fuel line and the breather line is 5/16ths.
Sabercat ~ Thanks for the feedback. I know the stock OEM plug calls for BR4ES. I have gone to the BPR2ES as it's a hotter plug that works very well on these carts. The older carts that are not up to floor room specs included. They seem to handle the little extra heat very well and burn the air/fuel much better. The colder plugs on older weaker carts tend to foul out prematurely. The key being a proper air / fuel mix (never to lean) and paying attention to the plug color. The only difference between the br4es and the bPr4es is the P (Projected Insulate Type) cathode)) sticks out a bit more, without interference hitting the piston. And the 2 is a hotter spark in the heat range.

Airbox straps, I've learned here, are can be just about anything as long as the seal is good and tight. I've even had to resort to a handful of rubber bands for testing purposes while waiting for stock replacements. Seen a couple of examples of what appear to be good straps that turned out to be oil soaked and stretched out causing a poor seal. Just because it ain't broke doesn't mean it's still good.

I was able to replace the oil line with some spare 1/4" hose I had laying around and the 5/16" breather line was nothing more than trimming off the end and reattaching.

THANKS AGAIN for chiming in with some good advice!

As for the AFU air/fuel needle... Smallblock is hooking me up with a brand new one at <1/10 the cost of a carb rebuild kit. Once again he is truly THEMAN!!!
Old 07-24-2010, 07:46 AM   #7
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Kudos to both of you ACE and SMALLBLOCK!
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:14 PM   #8
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

thats dave for ya!
sabercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #9
ace_ripper
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Hi Guys ~

An update to close out this thread:

First off THANKS TO ALL who helped out here.

Smallblock was able to get me a new carb needle. Sadly after rebuilding the top end and getting the new needle in the cart was still having some troubles. Real hard time starting when cold with backfiring through the carb. I tried a new aftermarket carb to no avail. Timing checked out, in-line spark tester showed spark, 170psi, good strong battery... Took a long shot and replaced the ignition coil. BANG! That did the trick. Now the thing runs like a top.

We put the original carb back on with the new needle and it still running top notch.

THANKS AGAIN!!!
Old 08-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #10
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Great news that its running correctly now Sorry I was not more help in diagnosing the problem. Some car problems can keep you up at night pondering. Keep up the good work. Might want to put this one up in the old memory bank, just for future referance....but when your as old as I am.....I'l probably forget it tommarrow.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
g2 fuel needle
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha