lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
mwgilmer
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car DS Duromax

Could some one point me in the right direction as to how to facbricate motor mounts for this motor.

I am very mechanically inclined, I just want to get the parts lined up so I dont have to start and stop the project and wasting more time going to the parts house than actually working.

Last, Can it be done without a lift and new clutches?

Last edited by mwgilmer; 08-29-2011 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: Duromax,Clone,Swap,Clutch,Lift
mwgilmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Club Car DS Duromax

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwgilmer View Post
Could some one point me in the right direction as to how to facbricate motor mounts for this motor.

I am very mechanically inclined, I just want to get the parts lined up so I dont have to start and stop the project and wasting more time going to the parts house than actually working.

Last, Can it be done without a lift and new clutches?
That's all a bit vague, what year is your cart ? 96 and up will be CW rotation, the Duromax is CCW. In either version of the CC the drive clutch will work with an adapter from Tom at CPP but 96 and up will require the older driven clutch.
Lots of threads on here with all manner of information regarding clone swaps but it seems that while most folks go in similar directions regarding the mounts others have distinctly different ideas.
Have a good read and use the search function to have a look at what others are doing

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
mwgilmer
Not Yet Wild

Thanks so much for the info. I do have a CCW unit (92). I purchased a 99 motor which obviously is incorrect unless I run it in reverse. Because my cart has been gutted (wiring is all out) I figured it would be cheaper to throw in a duromax.

I ordered the the Clutch adapter today. I really just need some advice on clutch spacing and mounting the motor. I am inclined enough to handle the rest.

Questions Im trying to answer (if you can point me to the thread I would really appreciate it)

Is lift required for duramax?

Do I need to ditch the original belly pan or can I modify the stock one?

Spacing between the drive and driven clutch?

Spacing between the motor and drive clutch?

Thanks
Old 08-30-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks so much for the info. I do have a CCW unit (92). I purchased a 99 motor which obviously is incorrect unless I run it in reverse. Because my cart has been gutted (wiring is all out) I figured it would be cheaper to throw in a duromax.

I ordered the the Clutch adapter today. I really just need some advice on clutch spacing and mounting the motor. I am inclined enough to handle the rest.

Questions Im trying to answer (if you can point me to the thread I would really appreciate it)

Is lift required for duramax?

Do I need to ditch the original belly pan or can I modify the stock one?

Spacing between the drive and driven clutch?

Spacing between the motor and drive clutch?

Thanks

Sorry Mw, I can't help with most of your questions since my Duromax is going into a GEM cart which has seems to have never been done before. I'm going into my project by gleaning ideas from others and mind modifying them as I go along. For starters, I'm welding in a complete CC rear end since the GEM was originally a FWD electric powered cart. Makes life interesting to say the least Don't even get me started on how I'm going to arrange the original GEM four wheel hydraulic brakes and hand brake mechanism but I'll have fun doing it and others here will chime in with possible solutions.
Try using the "search" function. There's a veritable mine of information to found on Clone swaps.

Chris.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:42 PM   #5
mwgilmer
Not Yet Wild

Thanks invalid. Take some pics of your project please sir. Id like to see its progression.

I will be receiving my duro and throttle linkage/fuel system from AKG. Ill let you know how compatible their linkage kit is with the duro.

Good luck on your build
Old 09-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #6
pgilbert
Getting Wild
Club Car

MW,

I am currently doing a duromax 16hp swap into an '86 CC DS. I can not tell you for sure if you need a lift or not as i have already put a 6inch lift with 22'' tires on. Tomorrow, i have a buddy comming over and we are going to cut the crank and get the motor mounted in the cart. I am not exactly sure how we will configure the mounting as of yet, with mine from what i can tell the motor is going to sit off to the drivers side a little to align the clutches. Due to this my initial idea of just two flat steel bars is not going to work since the motor is offset. I have purchased a .100 12''x24'' steel plate that im thinking we will cut down and attach. Once we get it figured out, i'll be sure to take pics and post them.
pgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:48 PM   #7
mwgilmer
Not Yet Wild

Thanks man, I start my build next week. Spoke with a welder today who had some good ideas. How much did you pay for the plate and did you have to go to a specialty shop to get it.

As soon as you get some pics, id love to look at your mounting. Are you going to do bushings or bolt it stratight in. motor>plate>clubcar plate?
Old 09-03-2011, 08:37 AM   #8
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks man, I start my build next week. Spoke with a welder today who had some good ideas. How much did you pay for the plate and did you have to go to a specialty shop to get it.

As soon as you get some pics, id love to look at your mounting. Are you going to do bushings or bolt it stratight in. motor>plate>clubcar plate?
I would imagine that if you could secure the new motor to the CC engine cradle that would the way to go since you will retain the integrity of the engine / transaxle movement.

Chris.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #9
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Pgilbert, I'm thinking the .100th thick plate (12 gauge) might be a little thin (1/8" plate is .125) and the vibration harmonics from the motor will cause cracking in the plate beside welds or from mounting holes.
Could also flex under power and cause clutch/belt slipping issues.
Consider 2pcs of something like 3/8X2" flat bar and maybe the plate as a added belly pan.
There is a clone thread that covers a great deal of information. Keep us posted with lots of pics!
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #10
crash12888
Gone Crazy

I went to post up this link and saw you were here already. Duh....

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/clone-engine-swaps/
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps