lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
f350ste
Not Yet Wild

Default Cushman Drive System Question

Hello forum members, I need your help with a Cushman drive system question.

I recently bought a Cushman UTV-Max Model 898669. It has been repowered with a 14hp Vangaurd. It looks to me like it is still using the original drive system, which I think is a Comet 870 clutch. The system in general works very well, but I am having a problem because the drive system continues to drive at idle. This causes the transmission to be unable to switch between forward and reverse. I have to shut the engine off every time I need to switch gears. The clutch is working perfectly; the only reason the belt continues to spin is that it gets enough friction from the spinning drive shaft. I was somewhat suspicious that the drive belt is slightly too short, which is supported by the fact that at top speed the belt does not quite reach the top of the drive pulley. However, it has a 704065 drive belt, and according to the Belt chart, that means the distance between the shafts should be 12.25 inches, when mine is actually 11.75 inches currently. I’m confused, on one hand it seems that the belt is too short, however the shafts are already closer than specified for the belt. Anyone got any ideas as to what might be causing my belt drive at idle?

Link to the belt chart: forums.sae.org/access/dispatch.cgi/.../Belt%20Chart-770-780-790.doc

DSCF0461.jpg

DSCF0462.jpg

DSCF0463.jpg
f350ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Cushman Drive System Question

Try reducing the idle speed a bit. If the idle speed is too high the clutch will begin to grab. An incorrect (too wide) belt can also cause this problem. I have no experience with the Comet clutches, but have with other similar designs.

CharleyL
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
Unforgiven
Feral

Mixed Breed

First of all "WELCOME TO BGW"

Ahhhhh this rears its ugly face again.

I ran through the same problem with my 98 cushman hawk. First of all with engine turned off you should be able to pinch your belt and it should be about 1" before they touch. Looks if someone swaped motors they have the belt too tight. You can adjust the motor back and get a little slack in it. second you can try to adjust the idle down on your buggy to keep drive clutch closed. third those clutches have springs in them that get weak with age or in my case broken. May need to take driven clutch off and take the dust cover off and give it a good inspection. Thats a Salsbury 780 I think. Here's a link to the service manual.http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/big-b...80-1190-a.html it has 6 springs in it 3 of mine were broken.

I ended up replacing my clutch and adjusting my idle and I also gave my motor a good tune-up to get it running smooth so it would run at a lower rpm.
hope this helps,.....

Unforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I had a similar problem and it was the spring in the primary. I used a 1/2" shim on mine (Yamaha) and it cured the problem. Not sure how those springs work in the Comet, but I think they all use the same principle. The spring puts force on the clutch to overcome the force of the flyweights so the clutch will open and stay open at idle. If the clutch spring is weak or broken the force of the flyweights keeps the clutch closed just a bit. The belt wants to grab and the cart wants to go. A longer belt might help, but I suspect the clutch needs to be serviced, as they all do eventually.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
belt, clutch, comet, cushman
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts