lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2022, 11:18 PM   #51
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Smaller electrical lines on new solenoid..no power.

I too have reached the conclusion that the controller is indeed at fault. particularly as you have no output for the buzzer. If the cart works fairly normally with the modification that was done before you got the cart, I see no reason that the negative overide we did would be any worse. The only thing I would suggest as being a better solution would be to use the signal from the pedal switch to operate the solenoid rather than the tow switch as we trialed previously. It would appear that only the solenoid switching side of the controller is faulty and we can still use the speed control part. If you have seen your Private messages you will see a link to a user that may still have a suitable controller at a good price and you will also see in a second message I have explained how we can get your cart moving now in a safer manner than overiding the solenoid and have it pedal controlled. I think it should work as we are just going to be doing a better job than the previous owner did.

Basically we will provide the solenoid with a permanent negative and use the pedal positive signal you say you now have on the brown wire to activate the solenoid with the pedal. This way the solenoid will go open circuit as soon as you take your foot off the pedal and be much safer than being always on with the tow switch turned on. I have no idea of the long term affect this will have, but if the controller is indeed faulty, it gives you the chance to drive the cart while looking for a better solution such as a used controller or a new stock or upgrade option.
This Modification is no worse than what was on it when you got it and in my mind much safer. We have to give Volt_Ampere the credit here as he called out the probable faulty controller right at the start!
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2022, 11:24 PM   #52
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaP0930 View Post
In this configuration, the solenoid should now have negative from the battery on one post, and positive on the other from the tow switch on red/yellow that changes to red/white, so as soon as you turn on the tow switch, the solenoid should activate and the cart should work as it was with the black breaker box in place of the solenoid. If it does, then we have proved that the solenoid was not getting the negative signal from the controller. We would now need to find out if the controller is not sending out the negative or the connection between the controller and solenoid is broken somewhere on the red/black wire.

This was you explaining the bypass we did. I just want to make sure I did the new tow switch correctly. There are 2 red wires on the positive terminal, one coming from the tow switch and the other coming straight from the main positive terminal. Correct?

I was going to bypass it, just enough to figure out which is forward and reverse on the switch.

One more thing, I was looking at that grey wire, is that a fuse inside that shrinkwrap type looking yellow connector looking
Oops, you must have typed this while i was typing my last post LOL.

That was how we did it and should be fine for testing the forward reverse switch. My other idea may be better. Using a relay to minimize the load on the pedal switch might be an option. Maybe an expert can advise?

The thing in the grey wire looks like it should be a diode according to the diagram that allows current to flow in one direction only. Ie, from charge port to controller and not the other way round. This was one of my unknowns as to how it affects the controller charge lock out. [EDIT] Mind you it looks like it is just a barrel connector for disconnecting the charge port from the controller. If so it might be worth disconnecting it and see if it makes any difference?
Old 08-10-2022, 12:24 AM   #53
SamanthaP0930
Getting Wild

Yamaha

That piece the seller had on it, that had to be pushed in for the cart to work. Is that what you're talking about? No clue why but he also had a 40 amp fuse connected into the tow switch??

I'm not sure if it's the solenoid noise, but doing it the way we did feels like more volts, lol sparks more, solenoid seems like it's being electrocuted. Nonetheless now have the directional switch labeled.

Yes he did call it from the beginning!

The videos I have watched showing bypassing the controller some say to buy a new battery charger and others don't. Or they have said to set a timer on the charger. Whatever the case maybe, they all seem to mention the batteries.
SamanthaP0930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 12:51 AM   #54
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I am having second thoughts about my idea's on switching the solenoid with a relay controlled by the pedal switch, so using the tow switch and negative overide is safer for the cart.

With relay control, I am wondering if we may need to add a diode and or resistor to the solenoid or do things another way to prevent a problem with regen from the motor when the solenoid deactivates with the pedal switch.

We really need to get help from an expert here as i do not wish to give bad advice.

Obviously a new controller should be the correct choice here and just use the override for testing purposes unless anyone can advise otherwise.
I do not know electric carts very well and was originally just looking to help with simple fault finding. It is beyond my skills to suggest otherwise. I now feel that the way the previous owner did it was safer for the cart, but risky for the operator!

The videos about replacing chargers is probably for club car carts that have an on board controller to run the OEM chargers. I dont think this is relevant in your case.

It looks like now you know that the cart generally works and the controller is suspect, you should change out the controller. As I said, i do not think I can help any further and you need an electric cart guru now, Not me LOL.
Old 08-12-2022, 01:48 AM   #55
SamanthaP0930
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Thank you so so so much! I have learned alot more than I ever thought I would. My plan is to replace the controller asap, now it's just a matter of which one and the pros and cons of upgrading. I need to read up on them. Lol I think they are sold with new wiring and without. Nonetheless still excited to see everything put back together painted. I should probably get the controller this weekend I'd really hate to put the body all back together to find that the wiring harness gets changed.

Again I can't thank you enough!! Taking the time to teach this nurse electrical I'm sure wasn't a easy task, I Thank you!!

P.s. I have a couple time shares on Treasure Island, Florida. If you're ever thinking of visiting Florida, please let me know, the week is yours!
Old 08-12-2022, 03:45 AM   #56
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Wow, Florida would be nice, but we have given up our passports now LOL. too much hassle going through airports and stuff. There is so much to see here in the UK, that I am sure we will find plenty of places to visit! but thank you so much for the offer. I do this for the pleasure of helping people, not for reward. Lets hope we can have your cart running properly soon.
Old 02-03-2023, 02:07 AM   #57
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

For those of you that may still be following this thread, Samantha has posted in her " Do not buy from " thread and I have copied it over for you guys to see that she will be back soon. And will someone please help her Avatar sit up straight

Quote:
I am so sorry guys! I am still here, still the owner of a Yamaha garage ornament, the beautiful new controller is still sitting in the same box Scotty shipped it in. Unfortunately the 12 hour shifts kicked into overdrive and the cart has just sat. The snow birds/tourist should start going back home the beginning of March and things slow down. I'm on call this weekend which really just means brace for a 14-16 hour day. The goal is to get the batteries addressed the next weekend (11th/12th).

I will admit though, I didn't realize how much easier it is to work on them when they are completely stripped. There has been a couple times the last few months that I lifted the seat and thought I was going to tinker with it for a couple hours, to which I either hit my elbow or head and likely closed the seat cursing and decided that wasn't going to be my next 2 hours. 🤦*♀️
(For those newer to my cart adventure, I purchase it, brought it home, spent probably total 10 hours getting off stickers, took everything except the motor off the cart and painted every piece. It look like it belonged to Rainbow Brite. All prior trouble shooting was done with only the frame and electrical, no box for the seat, nothing in the front over the dash/frame, no backseat, no roof or windshield. Had NO CLUE how spoiled I was working on everything completely open! So much so I may take everything back off, the few hours it takes to put it back together may be worth getting to everything easier.

I will be back very soon and look forward to having a operating cart!!

Thank you again Scotty for the controller, that's probably one of the nicest things someone I don't know has ever done for me. Thank you!

CartMaster, the hours we have spent on this cart and look you're still watching out for me with your email check in's. Even updating you guys during my mia moments. Thank you!

I promise I will be back very soon! You all are a great group! Thank you!

SideWays Sam lol 😆
Sam enquired by email as to where to obtain a new full wiring harness for her cart and as i am overseas said I could not really help with that, but reading other peoples threads it appears that https://www.plowmanscarts.com would be the go to place to find one. Please correct me if i have this wrong.
Old 02-03-2023, 08:03 AM   #58
SamanthaP0930
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Cartmaster, I just looked around at that website and don't see the wiring harness. I see they sell the one for the lights, but did not see the main electrical harness. I don't think it's a must to buy a new one, I just figured it would make things easier when I do install the controller. Not sure if it's possible but also don't want to have a wire incorrect that could damage the brand new controller, pretty sure I'd cry

So I attempted to fix sideways Sam, it appears I'm not sideways when I go under "my profile"? I'm upright Sam there. I did switch and crop a picture, where I'm also still upright, but once I click out of the profile, it still shows sideways Sam. Maybe I'm just suppose to be sideways Sam. Leave it to the nurse to make sure everyone gets their neck exercises in lol

Poor CartMaster, chic can't get her profile picture straight, can you guys imagine troubleshooting a golf cart with her !
Old 02-03-2023, 08:36 AM   #59
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

LOL. Try Calling them Sam. You will get better options as apparently they don't list everything they supply on the website.

I guess the easy thing to do here is get your user name changed then

I'm not techy enough to advise how to get your avatar right. I guess i was lucky when i posted mine!
Old 02-17-2023, 07:33 PM   #60
SamanthaP0930
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Should I start a new post for the rest /conclusion of this adventure or continue here??
I'm going in the morning to pick the batteries up. Tried to make it today but no go. 4 new T1275 trojan. I'm going to keep the marine battery (if that's ok) to use if need be for accessories or whatever? It's new, so it's probably silly to turn it in for a 22$ core charge. I have a question regarding the rear seat lol but I'm not sure if I should continue here or start new..lol

Tags
2007, electrical, g29, replaced solenoid
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha