lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2022, 06:54 AM   #1
harris87ezgo
Not Yet Wild

Default Can I use a shunt motor in place of a series?

Hello, all. I've got a 1987 ezgo marathon electric and recently found that my motor is junk.. I have access to a admiral mot-b2 shunt motor that I can get for free. I've tried doing a little research on whether or not I can use this in place and haven't really found a definitive answer. I was wondering if anybody on here can tell me or point me in the right direction. TIA
harris87ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2022, 07:08 AM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Can I use a shunt motor in place of a series?

In a series motor the field current is quite large and is visible by the fact that all four cables that go to a series motor are big, fat cables.

In a sepex motor the field current is much lower and is visible by the fact that the wires for the field on a sepex motor are much smaller.

The controller needs to vary the field strength by varying the power sent to the field. It's a separate function that isn't a consideration in series.

So I'd say no, you can't. At least, not in a traction application. If the motor was sitting in free-air with no load on it and small currents? I don't know. But if you plan to use it to push a golf cart and try stuffing 300 amps through the much smaller wires on the field of a sepex motor I'd expect them to get very hot and melt.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:12 AM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

A better option is to get the Admiral motor and barter it for a motor that'll work for you. Or sell it and use the funds to buy a motor you can use.

I had a marathon. I think it was a 1985 if I remember correctly. The motor was completely different, just looking at it regardless of the electronics needed to connect it, the motor wasn't physically interchangeable with current golf cart motors. HAVING SAID THAT, I was able to go to the local golf cart shop and pick up a working motor they had sitting in the back collecting dust for $20... Given inflation I couldn't do that today, but you may find for $40 you get an old stock motor someone is tired of tripping over.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:08 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

No. Series and Sepex are 2 completely different drive systems. None of the following parts are interchangeable.
Speed controller
F&R
Motor

The B2 motor may or may not bolt to the differential. IF it does you will need the rest of the Sepex drive system like DCS, PDS, or TXT48 and the wire harness, Controller, and F&R... and a lot of golf cart technological knowledge to make it work. Sometimes you just can't get there from here. Trust me on this one.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:31 AM   #5
harris87ezgo
Not Yet Wild

Okay thank you guys for all the info and help I really appreciate it!
harris87ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO