lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2022, 03:40 PM   #1
fjgoober
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO RXV Chinese Charger

First time posting but I've been using this website for research for awhile.

So my second QE charger failed. (BIG SURPRISE HUH!!)

I was charging up all 4 batteries individually with trickle chargers while looking for a replacement. Batteries are good.

My brother had luck with a similar charger so I purchased this :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273935503043

48V 48 Volt 6A Golf Cart Bare Wire Battery Charger for EZgo Club Car TXT Yamaha

It's a bare 2 wire charger so you have to use your old plug. I hooked up positive to positive and negative to negative for the two wire and left the 3rd green wire alone. Plugged it in and it charges.

Problem is it won't stop charging. The charger's second light stays red and won't turn green showing fully charged. However if I pull off the dc charging cable the light goes green and the charging cooling fan shuts off.

I left the charger off for the last two days and went out checked all 4 batteries and everyone was over 12.5 v.

Just curious about the 3rd wire. Am I missing something here? Has anyone had any experience with these?
fjgoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2022, 04:20 PM   #2
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO RXV Chinese Charger

A 6 amp charger is too small for your batteries. You'll need triple of that amperage to get the batteries fully charged. That's the reason, why the charger won't shut off. 12.5v is only 80% SOC but, you want 100%.
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 05:05 AM   #3
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Does it have a tiny little fan in the side? We're seeing plenty of customers screwed over by Amazon for something similar. It will charge your batteries--in 6 weeks! It's a battery tender/maintainer at best.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 12:13 PM   #4
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
Does it have a tiny little fan in the side? We're seeing plenty of customers screwed over by Amazon for something similar. It will charge your batteries--in 6 weeks! It's a battery tender/maintainer at best.
Agreed. I have a stack of these crappy 5-6A chargers that useless. I mean you can get a "Modz" 15A no-name label shipped in a crate for real cheap. Not sure why anyone would bother with these units.

I can get a "Modz" charger in Canada for 199$ CND... which is like 150$ USD.
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 01:07 PM   #5
fjgoober
Not Yet Wild

Yes,

It's has fan on it to the side. When I unplug it the second light becomes green stating fully charged.

I will tell you though my meter shows fully charged and the cart has plenty of get up and go. I can play 5 to 6 holes and it shows fully charged on the onboard meter.

I knew it was a 6 amp trickle charger but thought it would take overnight to charge. I had it on there for over 2 days and it hasn't shut off.
fjgoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 06:33 AM   #6
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Those battery 'meters' (analog needle, or bar graph) are useless as well. I can't count how many times one showed full when the cart was well below 20% SoC and showing empty when over 90.

FYI it can take over 8 hours to charge with a standard 20 amp charger. I personally recommend charging after each drive since you never want to deplete the batteries below 25% SoC (I'd never let it get below 50 myself) since low voltage = heat and eventually frying stuff that's expensive such as speed controllers or motors.

When a capacitor fails in an older charger you also won't get more than 5-6 amps output. That isn't sufficient to bring batteries up. The SoC will just get lower and lower and then you start damaging batteries from deep discharge. That's why 5-6 amps is best for maintaining the current charge level over going from dead to full.

Also, I'd pay a good bit of money more for a Made in USA charger (or just find a 30 year old one that some moron replaced with a QE for some reason) and just use that. I am sick of e-waste generating pieces of garbage from China.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:33 AM   #7
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
Also, I'd pay a good bit of money more for a Made in USA charger (or just find a 30 year old one that some moron replaced with a QE for some reason) and just use that. I am sick of e-waste generating pieces of garbage from China.
I agree with you so far but, i've personally no problems with a Delta Q charger since 2017. I didn't expect that when i got the cart. It charges and shuts off automatically very reliable, and the Trojan batteries are really happy
And as a solution a 30 year old charger...? I remember the Lestronic charger from my first cart, a Ezgo DCS. To use that thing was a real pain due to it's excessive weight and the batteries were cooked every time. Every second or third charge you had to add water to the batteries. Actually i do this once a month.
I don't know which US charger is really good but, a very high quality product here in Germany comes from IEB ( Industry Electronic Brilon ). No China ware, with a patended charging algorithm... highly recommended
Old 08-12-2022, 05:31 PM   #8
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

I'm just sick of them overengineering them to have things like Bluetooth or smart apps or being non-repairable and designed to be tossed out every year or two in order to generate recurring revenue to the company stupid enough to make them.

I always say the weight is the quality. If you can pick it up easily, it's full of Chinesium. Lightweight, but if it weighs like a disposable plate, it is a disposable plate.
Old 08-13-2022, 04:29 AM   #9
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Today lightweight is everywhere... my old Mercedes Benz Bus from 1987 is very heavy and, it runs always!
Old 08-13-2022, 06:49 AM   #10
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yeah, those little EZGO Delta Q's were designed to be an"unrepairible" throwaway. The more modern ModzMax are nice in that that are capable of turning back on as needed, but are also a throwaway design and no where near as long-lived as the heavy transformer designs. The 5 or 6 p charger may get you a useful charger eventually but can't condition the batteries and will cause you pack to fail before its time. My take has always been that you need the ability for more like 15 amps minimum to desulfate the batteries- an important part of getting proper life from the battery pack. A little trickle charger can't cause the acid to "bubble" and knock the sulfates off the plates.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO