lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-10-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
TROUBADOUR
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Governor question

The governor was disconnected when I bought my G-9 couple days ago - the cable is just lying on top of the engine - and I understand that it allows higher revving/more speed. But a guy I was talking to yesterday told me I would have more torque for hill climbing if I connected it back up.
I'm trying to understand how the governor, basically a rev limiter, can increase torque... Am I missing something or is this guy a little "off"? He says he has worked on a few golf carts for friends and says he knows them pretty well, but I'm having trouble with this claim.

Opinions?

Pat
TROUBADOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-10-2009, 11:49 AM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: Governor question

I think he's a little off. The governor doesn't generate or create torque. You can do the same thing the governor is doing with your foot. You just have to be careful not to over rev the engine.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
TROUBADOUR
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Governor question

Thanks - that is what I figured, but he seemed so sure... I'm not really a mechanic, but I have worked on engines much of my life and try to understand what is going on with them, and this just didn't make much sense. I was afraid I was missing something.
Thanks for the response... and I'm not really after "racing speeds" so I don't think I'll push it too hard.

Pat
TROUBADOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha