lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2018, 08:51 PM   #1
UTdro
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2001 Yamaha 48V Battery Issue

My 2001 Yamaha 48V was fine 2 days ago but when I went to take it around the block it would move a little then stop. It was previously on the charger so I knew it was charged and decided to check the batteries with my volt meter. In the process I noticed that the fuse that was connected to the voltage reducer was blown and also that the 16-18volt reducer was wired to 3 batteries instead of 2. The 3 batteries that were not connected to the reducer read ~9V but the other 3 that were used for the reducer, only read ~6.2-6.4. I removed the reducer and plugged it back onto the charger but the charger says it's charged and goes into float mode. Just recently I tried putting the 3 low batteries on my 12volt charger for 15-30mintues but the charge eventually goes back down to 6V. Are these 3 batteries shot?
UTdro is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-07-2018, 12:53 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 2001 Yamaha 48V Battery Issue

You should plug in the charger again, and monitor how high the battery voltage goes before the charger shuts off.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:15 PM   #3
UTdro
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the reply cgtech. If I recall, it stays between 0 and 5 amps before switching modes. I will confirm when this afternoon.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:53 PM   #4
cgtech

Yamaha

Amps never goes above 5a, even when first plugged in? That's some info, but I would still like to know on charge voltage.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:05 PM   #5
UTdro
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have confirmed that it doesn't go past 5a. Prior to putting the cart on the charger I got a reading of 47.7V. I plugged in the charger and it went to 3a, charged light came on and it dropped to 1a. It did get up to 4a after this but then went back down to 1a. Maybe it's the charger?
Old 11-08-2018, 09:51 AM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Amps never goes above 5a, even when first plugged in? That's some info, but I would still like to know on charge voltage.
"On charge" means while charging, during charger operation. Voltage means electrical potential, like a number between 47.7v, and 63v. Not Amps, at this point we have clarified the amps situation.

Might have a charger problem, but need the correct data to know where to go from here.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:52 PM   #7
UTdro
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Oh sorry missed the on charge part. I went ahead and took my batteries to get tested and I was told the 3 batteries were bad. Hopefully the new batteries resolve the issue.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:37 AM   #8
UTdro
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

After replacing the batteries the cart was back to normal. Even the charger kicked on and went to 15a to do it's charging. Thanks again for the help!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha