lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2020, 08:32 PM   #1
Pope
Not Yet Wild

Default 89 EZGO - Electrical System Overhaul

I did an awesome and stupid thing today. I bought an 89 EZGO that I knew wasn't running because I've had a couple of good runs fixing up other stuff in the last couple of months. Got it home and then looked underneath to realize how much rust was on the frame. I already knew there was a bird nest of wires in it, but didn't realize how many there were that went nowhere until this evening when I started diving in to it.

The guy was selling it because it wasn't firing. He could touch the tops of the solenoid and make it turn over, but never could get a spark to the plug. I did some research and thought micro switch would be a good place to start. Got the multimeter on the connections and got a beep with the gas pedal pressed....so switch is good.

I then started tracing the wires from the switch and it isn't plugged in to anything...that's a problem....

Several wires are hanging out around the front of the solenoid, but I can't figure out if they go to the posts on the front of the solenoid or not.

The schematic I'm looking at shows the positive terminal on the battery connecting directly to the solenoid....mine is hooked up opposite.

All that said....I feel like I need to carefully go through the circuits and probably rewire it (at least the small wires that are spliced in 3 places). Are there any resources here that I can use to get started???? (Pictures coming when phone charges)
Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2020, 09:23 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 EZGO - Electrical System Overhaul

Go up to the stickies on the ezgo page. Look at the one that says installing hei ignition on a 3 pg. There is a diagram there.
Also check my last couple of posts. There is a link to the entire 3 pg manual.
It doesn't matter which side of the solenoid you use. It passes straight through.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:35 PM   #3
Pope
Not Yet Wild

I cant figure out how to post pictures...

I thought I could breeze my way through following the schematics, but I'm struggling. As of now with the ignition switched on and the F/R lever in either F or R, I get no response from pushing the gas.

Continuity is good from switch to solenoid, switch to F/R selector and from F/R selector to generator/starter.

What's the next steps to troubleshoot? Any help is appreciated
Old 06-10-2020, 07:53 PM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Go to the reply box, and click go advanced. Then click on the paperclip to load pictures.

There shouldn't be an electric fuel pump.
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/atta...7&d=1323224205
This is the diagram with the hei mod. Ignore that part.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:05 PM   #5
Pope
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Go to the reply box, and click go advanced. Then click on the paperclip to load pictures.

This is the diagram with the hei mod. Ignore that part.
Thanks - I'm always slow learning on the forums. I edited the above post to be more direct with my questions regarding where to go from here....
Old 06-10-2020, 09:08 PM   #6
Pope
Not Yet Wild

20200610_074947.jpg

20200610_075141.jpg

20200610_074957.jpg

20200610_075003.jpg
Old 06-11-2020, 08:07 AM   #7
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Do you have power to the key switch?
Start at the positive battery cable. Follow it to the solenoid. At the solenoid a small wire is going to branch off. It has an inline fuse, and runs in series to the following locations.

Hot side of the key switch, Neutral safety switch, pedal switch, small terminal of the solenoid. The other small solenoid terminal goes to ground.
All three of those switches have to be closed to power the solenoid. Completing that circuit activates the solenoid.

On the hot side of the key switch, there is a second wire. It goes to the backup alarm switch which is located on the driver's side of the FnR switch. The passenger side of the FnR switch is where the neutral safety switch is located.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:10 AM   #8
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Your battery is connected backwards

I am seeing the negative post connected directly to the solenoid.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:11 AM   #9
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

That does not look like a continuous duty golf cart solenoid. A car starter solenoid will not work. Well, it will work for about 5 minutes.

It also doesn't have the activation wires connected to the small terminals.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:24 AM   #10
Pope
Not Yet Wild

Guys - Thank you so much for the responses. The pictures I posted were how the cart was when I picked it up.

Last night I did hook up some of the wires to the small studs of the solenoid - basically colors on one side and black on the other. Not surprising that it didn't work. I thought the batter was backwards, then after looking again I think it was right the first time (looking at the schematic)....I'll double check again to see.

is this the proper solenoid?
https://www.amazon.com/Terminal-Sole.../dp/B0074CE6GQ

The red wire from the ignition switch doesn't have a fuse in it. I assume it should have one...any idea what size?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO