lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-31-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
Bad92Silverado
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default steering wheel

hey guys. my steering wheel skips 3-4 clicks before engaging from turning left to right and vise versa. how do i pull this unit apart. i got the schematic off of the stickies section here. and i took the bolt off of the wheel itself and i cant seem to pull the wheel off... and where might my shaft be broken.. in the upper half or lower half.. im pretty certain it is the splines in there but i dont want to break something that aint broke...

thanks in advance guys!
Bad92Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-31-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: steering wheel

Your steering box is bad...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:51 PM   #3
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Your steering box is bad - your steering wheel and shaft are most likely fine......

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:59 PM   #4
Bad92Silverado
Gone Wild

Club Car

thanks mike.. but i know its not the steering rack.. this is because i dont have one... im going to but one on the cart again... because it is hard to turn. set up as it is... it is in the wheel somewhere.. where im not sure... http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/membe...education.html you might be able to see what i mean if you look at some of my build pictures... but i am going to put a steering box in this week...
Old 02-01-2010, 05:12 PM   #5
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

ok i would tellyou the rack took has a bad gear in it , but you said that there is no gear due to the 4 wheeler front end upgrade. so try this for a whack to get your steering wheel off. pull the center nut off and put it back on till it just is flush with the top of the threads. THIS IS TO PROTECT THE THREADS OF THE COLOMN. take a punch, a nice wide one and a hammer, with your legs, place upward force to the wheel and hit the column, not the nut with the punch and hammer at the same time. with a coulple of good wacks, it should pop off. the other reason for the nut to go back on is if you do by cchance, booger up the first or a toothe on the shaft, the nut will in since repair the threads on the shaft., and no mushroom them out so yo will half to go shaft hunting!
i just did a 100% visual on my 99 carryall with the staock heel, and there is no plase to bolt a harmonic balance puller or a steering wheel puller, or a t bar puller you typiclly use to pull on with.
i use the whack method at work on the forflifts. take a little practice, but it works!
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:15 PM   #6
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

oh one way to see if it is in your shaft or in your steering wheel, is disconnect the shat from the 4wheelr front end, and have a buddy used a pipe wrench, slip joints, or vice gris to hold the shaft firmly, but not to damage the splines, then you can turnn the steering wheel and verify is it in the shaft, the wheel, or possibly in your 4whelr fornt end thingy. or in a steering colomn ujoint.
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #7
Deans
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Not to point out the obvious or anything.... but did you make sure all the bolts were installed (and torqued) in the u-joints for the steering column?
Deans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:43 PM   #8
Bad92Silverado
Gone Wild

Club Car

thanks ck... i did try that actually using 2 of us.. i was whacking on it and had a buddy pulling up on the wheel.. and it wasnt budging.. thats why i was asking.. it must just be on there really good.. ill have to try that again.. but i didnt want to break anything.. so i stopped.. thanks guys...
Old 02-01-2010, 08:57 PM   #9
sms-shop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm with deans...the steering shaft is one piece and i have never seen one snap ..but what i have seen is the splines in the ujoint stripped off were the ujoint come loose...take a yard marker and mark the joints on both sides and see which one is moving....
sms-shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:24 PM   #10
Bad92Silverado
Gone Wild

Club Car

alright sounds good guys.. ill try to get time to check this all out tomorrow.. i appreciate the help..
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car