lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
Dirtyray
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 1992 Ezgo marathon reverse problem

I posted this question before but have not been able to resolve my problem.

I have a 1992 EZ-GO 4 Cycle Gas Marathon. I have had this cart for about a month and a half. When I bought the cart it had no reverse. The guy I bought it from claimed it had reverse but needed work. The cart runs fine in forward gear. When I try to put the cart in reverse it locks solid. The cart does not move forward or backwards. What could be the problem? I am getting really frustrated. Could it possibly be an internal or external problem?

Also, I put 22” tires on it will that make it faster? I have been through several belts. I purchased the HP3004 that was suggested and it will not sit down in the drive clutch far enough. I ordered the stock belt that is supposed to go with these carts and am hoping that will solve another problem I am having. I am looking for high torque but as much horsepower as I can get too. Thank you for any help!

Last edited by Dirtyray; 12-27-2012 at 11:55 PM.. Reason: new issue
Dirtyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
RSP
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 1992 Ezgo marathon reverse problem

Sounds like something is wrong inside the transmission :(
RSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I have to confess that I am a little confused. For a start 1992 was the last year of the 2 strokes and your cart (if that is it in the avatar) sure does look like a 2 stroke. Are you positive that it is the four stroke as the transmission is completely different.
In addition you mention the HP3004 belt which is the short belt for the 1980 - 1988 model 2PG engine only. In fact this belt is far too long for the 1989 and up engine and yet you say it will not sit down in the drive clutch which implies that either the belt is too short or that the sheaves on the clutch are stuck shut.
Any chance you could post a picture of the engine so we can see what is under the seat?

In answer to your question, yes the 22 inch tires will make it run faster at the expense of low end torque and acceleration. Changing to the correct shorter belt or better still clocking the clutch will give you better low end torque but will have no effect on the horsepower.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
Dirtyray
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I am pretty sure it is a four stroke. At least that is what the guy that I bought it from said it was. I have attached a couple of pictures for you Dave. I hope it helps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Engine Pic.jpg (91.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Engine Pic 2.jpg (90.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Engine Pic 3.jpg (145.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #5
rvkersh
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

no dought it is a 4 stroke. sounds like a shift cable problem. put it into reverse then reach in and see if the shifter will move any farther. engine off .
rvkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #6
Dirtyray
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

No it does not move any further. Yes it is detented in reverse. Forward it goes fine. When you get it in reverse it locks solid. With the belt off in forward the rear clutch is free in reverse the rear clutch and differential are locked. It will not move in forward or reverse. I am not really sure what to do next. Does anyone have an exploded view of the transmission and tunnel?

Last edited by Dirtyray; 12-28-2012 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 12-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #7
rvkersh
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sounds like the trans needs to come out.By the shifter there is a plug, remove it, take out the detent ball and spring. Split the case, and check the pins at the sliding sleeve are intact. This is the sleeve that the shifter moves side to side, those pins engage the forward or reverse gear and lock them to the intermediate shaft which drives the rest of the final gears.It you don't want to remove the axles to do it on a bench, leave the drivers side tire on, stand it up on that tire and split the case. This is not a hard job and parts won't go falling all over the place,everything will stay in the case.As soon as you open it you will see what I am talking about. Drain the oil first or you will have a mess.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
Dirtyray
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Smile Re: 1992 Ezgo marathon reverse problem

Thanks I will try that once it dries up enough around here.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #9
rib33024

This should be it

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #10
rvkersh
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Item 73 in the second picture rib33024 posted is the part I was referring to.Check gears 75 and 103 that the holes the pins engage are ok. Make sure that detent ball is in there,I have seen them missing and the shift shaft would bind on the spring and not shift completely.Good luck.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO