lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #1
yler4cy
Gone Wild

Default 1997 EZGO TXT Quesions

I recently put a 6" spindle lift and 23" tires on a 1997 EZGO TXT. The cart runs fine, but going up hills it really struggles. Struggling to the point that it will not go up the hill at all. This is with only 2 people, totaling maybe 375lbs. I never tested the hill climbing ability before I installed the lift, so I don't have a comparison of before and after. I am sending the driven clutch out to Carts Parts Plus for machining, HD spring and Severe Duty belt.

With all the being said, is there anything else I can do to the cart to help with hill climbing?

Thanks in advance for your help.
yler4cy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 1997 EZGO TXT Quesions

You either have a belt slipping badly of other issues.. I would also check your valve clearance if you have not done that recently. Valves may not be closing completely.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:09 PM   #3
yler4cy
Gone Wild

Can you explain how to check the valve clearance? Also, the cart runs perfect going up and down the road, it is just when they are going up the hill. I have no clue how steep their hills are. I hope the machining, spring and belt make a huge difference.
yler4cy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:24 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Well you say 1997 so I am assuming a Robbins engine. I usually do this with a cold engine. Pull the valve cover, 6 10mm bolts, make sure to keep the rubber o-ring gasket, spin the crank so each valve you adjust has the lobe pointing away from the rocker arm, loosen the lock nut and see if there is any play..ie will it move. If not, it is too tight. Loosen the screw until there is some play then tighten it until it touches then loosen half a turn. Should be about .004 if you have a feeler gauge. Don't forget to tighten the lock nut back. Do this to all 4 valves. Clean the surfaces of the head and the cover and close it back up. The 6 cover bolts just need to be snug.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:43 AM   #5
98ezgo
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yler4cy View Post
I recently put a 6" spindle lift and 23" tires on a 1997 EZGO TXT. The cart runs fine, but going up hills it really struggles. Struggling to the point that it will not go up the hill at all. This is with only 2 people, totaling maybe 375lbs. I never tested the hill climbing ability before I installed the lift, so I don't have a comparison of before and after. I am sending the driven clutch out to Carts Parts Plus for machining, HD spring and Severe Duty belt.

With all the being said, is there anything else I can do to the cart to help with hill climbing?

Thanks in advance for your help.
i have a 98 ez go 1200 workhorse. i also did the jake's 6 inch lift but i did the other lift style not the spindle lift. i also live on a hill and the farm has many hills. i wanted to do bigger wheels and tires but before i did the lift mine had a hard time going up the hills so i did the 28 degree clutch and still use my 8 inch wheels so i don't loose the hill climbing power that i gained with the clutch change. it does good with the set up i have now. you may need to drop the tire size down some
98ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:40 AM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

My daughter's 99 workhorse/oasis has no problems climbing hills with a lift and 22 inch tires so don't think it is a matter of the tires. Yes they make a difference but I think you have lack of horsepower issues. Her's does have the 350 in it though..
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO