lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2011, 09:15 AM   #1
inkaroads
Not Yet Wild

Columbia

Default home made clutch removal tool

Well, Happy fathers day for all those fathers that get to do what they choose in this day!!
After installing the lift kit, I found out I need a "SPECIAL" tool to remove the primary clutch, could not wait any longer and decided to make my own tool, it was easier than I thought and the clutch came out like butter, here it is:

Home made clutch removal tool:

5/16" thick x 5 3/4" long round stock steel rod (I believe that yamahas and ezgo uses a similar tool just measure the need length for the round rod for your application)

and a bolt that will match the thread in the outer shell of the clutch housing, goes in the same hole you put the bolt that holds the clutch.

how it works:

1- slide the round rod into the hole in the middle of the clutch housing, when reach the end you will have about a 1/4" between the rod's end and the end of the housing, in the inside to thread the bolt.

2-start tightening the bolt in the housing and as you tighten it the clutch pulls out.

6" Round rod: 1 minute to make and $.03

Fine thread bolt: .25 cents

Not having to wait and save $40 + sh, PRICELESS!!!

This tool will work for many Club Cars from 88 and up and the same is for other makes just the rod length will vary.
inkaroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
RudeJoe
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: home made clutch removal tool

Just wanted to use that one.

Seriously, it would be helpful to see a image.

Thanks!
RudeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:20 AM   #3
brinkkl2000
Not Yet Wild

I know this is way old, but thanks for the post. Used 5 1/2" of 5/16 rod, and a 7/16" fine thread bolt, and the clutch popped right off. Sure beat spending the cash on a true puller!!
brinkkl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:48 AM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

I bought the $40 tool a few years ago and it snapped in half after a couple of uses (I may have been hitting it hard with the impact). I can still use it though. Had not seen this thread or else I would have gone the home made route.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:02 PM   #5
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

I used a ratchet extension. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...tml#post774097
KRAZYMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:23 PM   #6
David Maner
Morel Man

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkaroads View Post
Well, Happy fathers day for all those fathers that get to do what they choose in this day!!
After installing the lift kit, I found out I need a "SPECIAL" tool to remove the primary clutch, could not wait any longer and decided to make my own tool, it was easier than I thought and the clutch came out like butter, here it is:

Home made clutch removal tool:

5/16" thick x 5 3/4" long round stock steel rod (I believe that yamahas and ezgo uses a similar tool just measure the need length for the round rod for your application)

and a bolt that will match the thread in the outer shell of the clutch housing, goes in the same hole you put the bolt that holds the clutch.

how it works:

1- slide the round rod into the hole in the middle of the clutch housing, when reach the end you will have about a 1/4" between the rod's end and the end of the housing, in the inside to thread the bolt.

2-start tightening the bolt in the housing and as you tighten it the clutch pulls out.

6" Round rod: 1 minute to make and $.03

Fine thread bolt: .25 cents

Not having to wait and save $40 + sh, PRICELESS!!!

This tool will work for many Club Cars from 88 and up and the same is for other makes just the rod length will vary.
I used a grade 8 bolt for the long one and my clutch has coarse threads for the short one. Worked like a charm, popped that old clutch off like it was made too.

For the two bolts at tractor supply it was less than one buck total.

I turned the end that goes into the crank so it would fit in the threaded hole that the bolt that holds the clutch on with so as to center it up. don't think it was necessary but since I had the lathe and all I did it that way. When I threaded the pusher bolt in I put oil on the threads to help it to thread easier too. Not sure that was necessary either though :-)
David Maner is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car