lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2020, 08:39 PM   #351
ironmonkey17
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: G2/G9 Twins I've Inherited - Non-running

Those prices are gonna make you sick, better off looking on ebay or something I'll look in my pile of stuff (junk) to see if i have my old take/offs.. still lying around..
ironmonkey17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2020, 07:57 AM   #352
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

You might be able to use just the shock portion of the steeling 4" lift kit with some stock yamaha shocks. The kit is about $80. This works well with the OEM shocks.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:57 AM   #353
justwondering
A Gal with a Cart!
Yamaha

Let me ask a basic shock question.

I've been searching for examples of lifted and non-lifted carts with pictures of the shocks. Watched many videos... many were not relevant.

However, it seems like 'lifting' a cart is basically two major considerations:
1. Travel of the shock (length of shock and where you attach it -- brackets, etc)
and
2. Altering the body so that the entire 'upper frame' sits higher than original... that is the chassis is still in the same location in relation to the axles and hubs but the 'frame' or 'body' above is sitting higher. Usually by use of some brackets.

The two major changes may require alterations to the steering/arms/spindles.

I'll go check out the atv place and get over my sticker shock. Also need to take more pictures of my current setup and compare it to the stock setup so I can really understand whats been done.

Better get a move on before the rain hits.

JW
justwondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:52 PM   #354
justwondering
A Gal with a Cart!
Yamaha

I found 2 old atv shocks with 13 1/2 inch eye to eye -- Kawasaki dealer sold them to me for 50 bucks. They were nice guys and after this covid mess, I'm going to help these smaller businesses out.
Came home and installed them.
Jacked up the axle.
Let the tire hang down.
Old bolts out.

If anyone felt the earth suddenly lurch forward and spin a little faster, I did it.

3 of the 4 bolts had the same size nut - 9/16

the last bolt was 2 sizes larger. What the heck. So there I am in the heat and humidity and again I'm struggling to find the proper size socket. Bleh.

Yes -- the earth lurched forward because ALL FOUR NUTS NOW MATCH! Dang it.

Now that the cart sits straight, there are 3 issues:
1. I can barely get my stupid busted right knee high enough and bent so I can get in the cart. When did I get this dang stove up???
and
2. As I stand there looking at the cart I realize that all of the tires have the same tread; however, two of the tires are narrower & taller than the other two.

Why yes, the matching tires are on opposite corners (sigh)
and
3.) The drive belt has too much slack in it. Won't move much in either direction.

So, with that success (not victory), I wiped the sweat out of my eyes and put up my tools for the day.
Manana in the early morning, I'll go swap two tires, shove the engine forward, and check the oil.
One more check to be sure the engine is still sitting level, cause I did change it to a big block and had to shim the engine to get it straight. Now that its taller in the front, I may need to fine tune my shimming.

And then, by 10 or so if its not raining, I can come back upstairs, fix breakfast for the mister and suggest he go take the cart for a spin.

Please don't let there be another issue in the morning, lord (my golf cart prayer to god).

JW
Old 05-23-2020, 10:14 PM   #355
justwondering
A Gal with a Cart!
Yamaha

And here I am again....
Just re-read post #151

I have to re-shim the engine so it sits level since the front shocks have now changed the 'level' of the cart.

I also know why the cart is acting up.... the drive belt is way loose.

The drive belt is loose because one of the plate bolts is missing.
The missing plate bolt means all my shim washers on the drive belt side are gone.

Jeeze.

And the problem is, the catch nut on the bottom side of the frame/plate is metric machine grade. All my extra bolts are either: Standard, course pitch, and carriage bolts OR too short metric, machine grade.

Argh.
So glad its Sunday tomorrow and a holiday on Monday. I would hate to have some retail shop open so I could get parts over the weekend.

And yes, we just has 2 3/4 inches of rain last night.

It feels like Groundhog Day, especially when I re-read my earlier posts.

lol

JW
Old 05-24-2020, 08:09 PM   #356
justwondering
A Gal with a Cart!
Yamaha

Made it in to town to get the bolts (most expensive bolts ever for this cart--lol).

Rained on me all the way home.
so here it is 3 hours later and the rain has quit, but the sun is setting.

I'll try again tomorrow.
JW
Old 10-06-2020, 12:49 PM   #357
justwondering
A Gal with a Cart!
Yamaha

Honey - the cart is acting up, could you look at it?

Me - sure

Honey (an hour later) - looks like you took the whole thing apart

Me - the clutch keyway is sheared off. (as I look at the pile of belts, clutch, clutch plate, starter/generator, and assorted bolts on my workarea).

What is the part number for a replacement 1/4 inch keyway for the clutch (G2 yamaha with a vegas cart clutch in it and a lifan motor)???

My internet search skills are worthless...

JW
Old 10-06-2020, 01:24 PM   #358
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

If you are looking for the 1/4" keystock lowes, and home depot and probably a ton of sell it. If it the inner part of the 780 clutch try the belt palace.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:17 PM   #359
justwondering
A Gal with a Cart!
Yamaha

Home Depot was a bust for key stock. Ditto Lowes. Ditto tractor co-op.

Finally got the local machine shop guy to order a foot of it for me.
Got it on Friday.
So finally, today (Sunday), I got a free day an the stars aligned so I could work on the cart.

Used a hacksaw to cut the key.
Oh bother.... was I standing at the welding table at the front of the barn? Why was my calf hurting??? Why could that be fire ants? Why yes it is!
Dowsed them with about a pint of diesel and kept sawing.

Then to the grinder to get the bevel in the end of the key.
Audition on the shaft.
Back to the grinder. its just a tad too wide to fit the slot.

Back and forth til everything is fitting.

At that point, I realize that none of the bolts I have are an M10.
I must have a bajillion in two different containers (old tool box, and a double thick cardboard box).
Nothing fits.

Cleaned the rust off the spindle.
Coated with lithium grease.
Closed up everything and came home.

This week I'll try for a bolt at the co-op and see if I can't get this thing running again.
JW
Old 11-11-2020, 07:53 AM   #360
Darrinm67
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I have really enjoyed your posts and your tenacity is inspiring. Tossing in the tidbits about your surroundings is a blast, Wasps, ants, spiders, rain, heat, mud, hubby, etc. “Hubby is still on the green side of the grass” is my favorite update so far

I think everyone has a collection of nuts and bolts and has been through it a million times only to find out the one you need is not there. Wouldn’t it be nice if someone invented a machine like the one at the grocery store that sorts loose change that worked for nuts and bolts? Man I would like to pour my gars of misc fasteners in and get little labeled baggies of like parts out the other end.

I had a similar problem with not having the o-ring i needed in my misc collection. I was determined to buy every o-ring i could find so that I would always have the one I needed on hand. It didn’t take long to come to my senses and stop that approach. As with fasteners there is a near infinite amount of different o-rings in different materials with different heat ratings, etc. I guess that’s how hardware stores stay in business.
Darrinm67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
g2/g9
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha