lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2020, 03:54 PM   #1
johnnyh33
Not Yet Wild

Default curtis 1228 main on fault

hello to all members and thanks for a great forum i would never have got this thing going without you!

anyway, after getting it going last summer the kids rode the thing round and round til it was time to go back to school. It suffered from a repeated motor brush overheating problem where the springs would 'cook' and lose their spring so just this week i have replaced the brushes and refaced the commutator and reduced the max current via the programmer to try to reduce the risk of it happening again only thing is now it has another problem which i can't find any info on. The vehicle starts to move then stops and the diagnostics says 'main on fault' which according to the curtis manual means the 'main contactor driver failed closed' or 'main contactor driver failed short'.

can anybody shed some light on this fault to get it running again. it will sometimes move if you try to accelerate very very gently but otherwise fails every time with this fault although the fault clears immediately you release the throttle.

thanks in advance.
johnnyh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-09-2020, 10:33 AM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: curtis 1228 main on fault

Isn't the "main contactor" the solenoid?
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:13 PM   #3
johnnyh33
Not Yet Wild

thanks for your reply, i think it is an internal contactor/relay in the 1228 controller as i don't have any external ones.

i have gleaned from searches that it may be the MOSFETs that are knackered. these are the contactor 'drivers' i think.

any ideas what causes them to go would be interesting.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:05 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I’m surprised that controller lasted that long. It is only rated for 70amps. Might be able to find another larger Curtis to match the harness but I wouldn’t hold my breath.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:24 PM   #5
johnnyh33
Not Yet Wild

the controller is the 110a version
Old 04-11-2020, 03:43 PM   #6
johnnyh33
Not Yet Wild

I am wondering is it possible that i have caused this fault by reducing the max current to 100a via the Curtis software? i did this to avoid the brushes 'cooking' but maybe the motor needs the full current to pull away and i have made it shut down with this fault code each time i try to pull away as it is 'tripping' out at 100a each time.

i don't know the workings of these controllers so any technical people out there would be great to hear from you.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:34 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Wow, you were successfully using a motor controller for an electric wheelchair for your golf cart? We can assume that controller is history, as its use style was way beyond its design parameters.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 06:38 AM   #8
johnnyh33
Not Yet Wild

yes it is in fact a mobility scooter.

do you have any idea what that "main on" fault means? perhaps it occurs in golf carts with Curtis controllers also?

my next step is maybe to disassemble the controller and test the MOSFETs if i can.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO