lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-31-2020, 09:46 AM   #1
ACCLR8N
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Nissan Leaf low temperature charging?

27° F this morning. In the garage my BMS reported my battery temp at 45° (7.7°C) so I plugged it in to charge for this afternoons adventures.

Opinions on how low a temperature is iffy to be charging?
ACCLR8N is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-31-2020, 09:50 AM   #2
mfinnegan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Nissan Leaf low temperature charging?

My $0.02 for what it's worth

never want to charge them when they are 32degrees or under!

i actually just read something on this today:

Do not charge lithium ion batteries below 32°F/0°C. In other words, never charge a lithium ion battery that is below freezing.

Doing so even once will result in a sudden, severe, and permanent capacity loss on the order of several dozen percent or more, as well a similar and also permanent increase in internal resistance. This damage occurs after just one isolated 'cold charging' event, and is proportional to the speed at which the cell is charged.

of course i have no idea what specific chemistry your batteries are :)
mfinnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:17 AM   #3
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Probably a stupid question: I see so many electric vehicles on the road; what do they do in cold weather? Granted I am in San Diego and we rarely see 32 degrees so my thought process is different, but the majority of the Country gets much colder and I can't imagine that they just don't drive when the temps drop. Most likely there is a heater or something that I am not aware of (like I said-probably a stupid question!) but I gotta ask!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:20 AM   #4
mfinnegan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

some of them have battery warmers.

and discharging doesn't have the same problems with cold as charging does from my understanding. so driving is fine.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:22 AM   #5
ACCLR8N
Getting Wild

Club Car

You can drive them when its cold, just reduced performance. The cars have much more elaborate systems. That said, there are no Tesla dealerships here in Michigan because of our winters. Have to go out of state to buy one. Plenty on the road here though.

My question was how close to push it to freezing before employing a heater before charging.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:29 AM   #6
mfinnegan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCLR8N View Post
You can drive them when its cold, just reduced performance. The cars have much more elaborate systems. That said, there are no Tesla dealerships here in Michigan because of our winters. Have to go out of state to buy one. Plenty on the road here though.

My question was how close to push it to freezing before employing a heater before charging.
not close at all... i think if it's below 30degreesC it comes on (for teslas at least, someone i know has one)
Old 10-31-2020, 10:29 AM   #7
ACCLR8N
Getting Wild

Club Car

Just read the Chevy Volt does in fact have a warming grid for the batteries. It seems at -14°F, the car won't even start and you get a message to plug it in and warm the batteries up.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:57 AM   #8
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCLR8N View Post
Just read the Chevy Volt does in fact have a warming grid for the batteries. It seems at -14°F, the car won't even start and you get a message to plug it in and warm the batteries up.
I wasn't trying to jump your thread, ACCLR8N I was just curious as I read your post in general. I don't think I will ever have to worry but my curious mind likes to know this stuff!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car