lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2020, 11:51 AM   #1
gumpstr
Not Yet Wild

Default Key start to pedal start

Hey all, I have a 2005 key start Club Car. I know most people want their cart to be key start but I need to go the other way. I need a more reliable easy to use cart for my employees to use. How can I change it to a pedal start? I think I need to add a microswitch to the cable in the black box but I'm not sure how to wire it up
gumpstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-12-2020, 09:28 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Key start to pedal start

I don’t remember exactly off the top of my head, but I’m pretty sure all of the wiring is there, it just needs to be “rearranged” a little bit.
The biggest difference is the key start carts have a relay to kill spark if one of the micro switches gets activated in the wrong position. The wire colors for the basic functions are all the same. Check the wire diagram at the bottom of the page in the stickie and follow that as close as you can, and it should do what you need.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 07:33 AM   #3
gumpstr
Not Yet Wild

I don't see the diagram. I thought that it looked to be there, I just don't know what to move around.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:28 AM   #4
RenoHuskerDu
Getting Wild
Club Car

We modified ours the other way. Did it all by bypassing the starter stuff on accell linkage. Then we did the shifter switch too, so it will start in gear. We dislike safety nanny equipment. You should probably pass on that though for liability reasons. There's always some peckerwood who runs to an ambulance chaser to suck the life out of your business because they stubbed their toe.

Have you considered hiring smarter employees? How hard can it be to start and stop a cart like they start/stop their own car?
RenoHuskerDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 03:34 PM   #5
gumpstr
Not Yet Wild

Its all about choking and warming it up. It usually only gets run for short periods of time so pedal start would be better. I have a background in engineering so I'm sure I can do it if I have a set of instructions.
Old 12-23-2020, 03:53 PM   #6
RenoHuskerDu
Getting Wild
Club Car

I only have an SOP degree. But consider that short runs of an IC motor don't fully heat the motor, letting dihydrogen monoxide remain in a vapor state in the crankcase, where it then condenses and is a very poor lubricant. This also eventually acidifies the oil.

If you stay on key start, you can let it idle and warm fully, spending a few cents in gasoline to preserve your engine longevity. It also charges the battery better that way.
RenoHuskerDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 04:03 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoHuskerDu View Post

Have you considered hiring smarter employees? How hard can it be to start and stop a cart like they start/stop their own car?

Yeah that’s what will fix it! It’s so obvious now!

Serious though, “smarter employees” is a tall order. Just because someone seems coherent, doesn’t mean they know how to use or operate a machine. Unfortunately people who are capable of fulfilling skilled labor positions are becoming fewer and fewer. There is no replacement for Good training, and experience.

Wire diagram here:
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...8&postcount=11
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 08:58 AM   #8
rose88
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have a Carryall 272 key start and want to change to a pedal start. Is this a common easy to do fix?
rose88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
club car, key start, pedal start
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car