lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #121
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: The CLONE engine setup & specs thread

One other note, the above relay if you buy the plug for it you can unplug the entire relay and the engine will run and not stop. Say if you wanted to start it with the recoil and dead battery, you could unplug it and start it then plug it back in once you had some 12v power going. I might leave my kill switch on there just for that purpose, not sure if I will or not. Maybe I should hide the kill switch as safety, hmmm, not a bad idea.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #122
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Took my head to a shop this morning but told him to do it when he had time, since I didn't get my timing key and valve springs yet. I get all the stuff together I'll start a thread on it and link it here. Lol, took the valve springs off by hand.

Anyone know if I should bother to get a seal for the exhaust valve?
Old 03-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #123
Black Thunder
Not Yet Wild

Sho, you probably know better than us! Lol.
Black Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #124
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I read about it and forgot what they said, they only put one on the intake and you can add the exhaust one. Likely not important. Just found out the guy is going to be back sooner than I thought, its 60s out, watch it will turn to 30F weather now lol. I will not work on this cart until the weather is nicer at least 50F. But I can get going on it sooner once he is back.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #125
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

In the 40s today, will it ever warm up. Anyway I'm waiting for my valve lap kit to arrive so I can lap the valves and flywheel taper. Drilling the governor hole and tapping it is a 5 min deal then its pretty much done. I did get gx200 springs for near nothing, they say just drop them inside the 390 springs and you have dual springs. Motor builders get rid of them that way for mild 390 motors, so hope it works. IIRC the 390 is a 20lb and the 200 are 10. Oh, I do have to fit the barb on the head for the pump yet. I was out there working on my snowplow today and it is cool, they were talking about snow today but not seen any.

I should take some photos and post a new thread on this engine when I get it put back together...or start installing it.

The ported head looks awesome, but I had to pay for it lol!
Old 07-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #126
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

After a million years I am actually working on clone #2. Got the governor out, checked the rod bolts, put the timing key in and flywheel back on, loctited the cover back on the block. Going to drill the pulse fitting in now, it looks like there is just enough room in the cover so going to try that instead of the head. In the head most places are very close to the valve springs and such or the exhaust/carb on the outside. Have to quick lap the valves and slap the head on then maybe later this week I can get on installing it into the cart. Have to cut the crank too. Has been 90s and some 100s here this summer too hot to work on it lol.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #127
70Shaker6pk
Not Yet Wild

Great thread! Please post pics, i just got a G2 and the original engine does smoke so i'll probably be putting in a Honda GX390. Thanks
70Shaker6pk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #128
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The pics are back a few pages.

I worked on the old clone some, went to put brakes on it and turns out just the sliding cylinder thingy at the bottom was not sliding, and they were full of dirt/dust. Got them working again. I pulled the secondary clutch off and wound the preload tighter by around 20%. Was thinking more rpm at part throttle might help it get with the program better since it misses when you drop the hammer. It did help. The carb sucks I think, but now it will come on better when you gas it from a low speed. GPS it and got 30.1mph on a dirt drive in maybe 200 yards then it does not speed up more really. It pulls hard at around 20mph, I should drill the weights in the primary like I did mine so it gets more rpm. It does not miss if you floor it from a stop or at higher speeds, only from around 5-10mph give or take. But it is better now sometimes it didn't miss at all. I tried to do a donut from a stop and could not, it had rained and tires dug right in so the front tires would slide. Think I need to tighten up the tension cable a little too next time I see it.

Worked on the new clone got the engine mostly buttoned up but missing a spring seat I think it should have, it was never in it.

I was considering running dual G9 mufflers since I have them, any thoughts? Yeah I want it quiet.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #129
doggone
Not Yet Wild

does anyone make a step by step instruction manual for cloning this?
doggone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #130
doggone
Not Yet Wild

i just want it to run and move nothing special (its going to mexico)
doggone is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha