lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Zone NEV
Zone NEV Zone electric golf cars, EV and LSV

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2014, 09:30 AM   #1
Richte18
Not Yet Wild

Default Is this a sensor

Installed new batteries into my cart. Found this item, is it a temp sensor? I didn't have time to follow the wire and couldn't find anything from the PN on it. TM200912. Its a 48v Zone golf cart, Elcon charger, curtis 1268 controller, 48v.
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9037.jpg (205.7 KB, 0 views)
Richte18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-05-2014, 09:36 AM   #2
dghofstee
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Is this a sensor

I saw that thing too. I thought it was a data logger. I use something that looks very similar to it at work. What type of batteries did you go with? I dont feel like paying for the US 250HC XC2's. I may drop down to 250AH batteries.
dghofstee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
Richte18
Not Yet Wild

Found out its a temp sensor for the charger to adjust the charge based on the battery temperature. Make sure to place in the middle of your battery pack between batteries where the temp would get the hottest. I went with the 250hc xc2s. With the high amp controller and motor I think it will pay off in the long run. My issue is that my state of charge meter drops fast while running wide open. It will show half full but my pack is still reading over 50 volts. I ordered a digital volt meter to out in the dash to give me a better look. I Think when running wide open and in hills, the pack naturally drops below 47 volts and its reading this as the state of charge. I'm not using on a golf course with start and stop just running the neighborhood with the kidos so it doesn't get much time resting. Maybe after a few more cycles the pack will settle in.

If you have any questions on the zone let me know. I've done a lot of research on them.
Richte18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:13 PM   #4
intrepidz
Not Yet Wild

The YouTube video is of my house. I lost everything in my home on that summer day 8/13/2012. If you have a zone cart in your garage, get it out of there. Only park it where it would not catch anything you care about catching on fire. It doesn't even need to be plugged in to blow a battery. I read on another forum about a guy backing down a driveway and blowing a hole on the top of a battery.
There have been many fires, but you are not going to find them due to settlement agreements. These owners cannot talk about them. I have not settled with them. I’m only asking for what my insurance didn't pay for and they are fighting to not pay anything. They know there is a problem and are not contacting anyone to warn them of the dangers. I’m warning you right now!

I’m a shift worker and came home at 6:00 am, hit the shower and tried to go to bed. It was summer and my wife and two kids were home sleeping. Lucky for me the batteries made a lot of noise when they were exploding. I went to see what the noise was and found the two carts on fire in my garage. Had the fire started a little later I would have been asleep. Had it started in the middle of the night, who would have been there to wake my family up? I could have lost all of them. I just don’t know what else to say.
Please don’t risk your family’s lives with one of these ZONEs parked in your garage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAVOP2hBmzc

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=8771276

http://www.click2houston.com/news/pa...-fire/21025000
intrepidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:30 PM   #5
bgw70
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidz View Post
The YouTube video is of my house. I lost everything in my home on that summer day 8/13/2012. If you have a zone cart in your garage, get it out of there. Only park it where it would not catch anything you care about catching on fire. It doesn't even need to be plugged in to blow a battery. I read on another forum about a guy backing down a driveway and blowing a hole on the top of a battery.
There have been many fires, but you are not going to find them due to settlement agreements. These owners cannot talk about them. I have not settled with them. I’m only asking for what my insurance didn't pay for and they are fighting to not pay anything. They know there is a problem and are not contacting anyone to warn them of the dangers. I’m warning you right now!

I’m a shift worker and came home at 6:00 am, hit the shower and tried to go to bed. It was summer and my wife and two kids were home sleeping. Lucky for me the batteries made a lot of noise when they were exploding. I went to see what the noise was and found the two carts on fire in my garage. Had the fire started a little later I would have been asleep. Had it started in the middle of the night, who would have been there to wake my family up? I could have lost all of them. I just don’t know what else to say.
Please don’t risk your family’s lives with one of these ZONEs parked in your garage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAVOP2hBmzc

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=8771276

http://www.click2houston.com/news/pa...-fire/21025000
I am so sorry for your loss, but I was wondering how long you owned the carts.
also, you said you had two of them, and you said you heard popping when they began to burn. Did you recently add water to the batteries before the fire? Just wondering if a low water situation had something to do with the fire.
if you did own two carts, were they both Zone and did the batteries catch fire in both of them?
I am so glad your family is okay!!!
bgw70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #6
dghofstee
Not Yet Wild

intrepidz,

It seems like your really trying to get your story out, so I thought I would reply.

I read the articles you referenced. The Pasadena article appears as if the victim might have been 2 carts at the same time via the same outlet. When each charger is supposed to be connected to a properly sized 20amp circuit and someone doubles the load....good chance of bad things happening, regardless of which cords they used.

My cart no longer has the same US batteries in it. I went to Trojan batteries that are slightly smaller than the US batteries that came with the vehicle. The only other things that would have the probability of an "explosion" are the charger and speed controller. Both of which are solid common used items in other name brand carts. My internet research on both have yielded nothing on that front. However if such a fire was to occur in my garage, I have a chemical fire suppression system that will stop the fire before it hits my house.

Thanks for your informative post and information.
dghofstee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:16 PM   #7
intrepidz
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, dghofstee for the kind words.
My only intend is to warn others about the possible fire hazard that may be sitting in their garage.

Bgw70:

I ordered both carts from Drive Electric in late 2009.

The water levels were ok, I would check them, but the levels were always good.

Only one golf cart was charging, the one closest to the wall. I knew better than to try and charge both carts at the same time. It would be too much of a load and trip the breaker if on the same circuit.

I had both cart’s parked side by side facing the driveway. They were maybe 6 inches apart.

By the time I found the carts burning, both carts were on fire and the fire was just starting to catch the wall next to it on fire.

I’m not here trying to say one cart is better than another. I only hope to make other owners aware of the danger they could be facing by parking one of these ‘Zone Electric Carts” in their garage. I’m not kidding, it really could save a life or family, and it could be yours. My cart is not the only one to catch fire.

Do a YouTube search and watch how hard it is to put out a golf cart fire. I think you will be really surprised at how destructive they can be. I had no idea until after my fire. Do not go into the garage thinking you are going to put one of these golf cart fires out with a hand held fire extinguisher. These fires don’t want to go out and you will find yourself gasping for oxygen in a room full of smoke.

My family and I were really lucky, we all lived and no one was hurt. I’m only doing what I can warn you from firsthand experience.
intrepidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Zone NEV