lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-21-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
Scott_nra
Getting Wild

Default News Flash! Stock motor does not like 500 amps!

Well, Looks like I'm down again. The New Alltrax SC, and Solenoid worked great. Finally took the cart out for a real trial run instead of just around the yard.

Kind of wondering what memo I missed. Had my phone on spedometer ap to check it out. I actually saw 25MPH going down hill on a neighborhood road with 3 people on board! I'm thinking "Hell yeah, I can get through the rest of hunting season like this no problem." Things were going great...until...*sniff *Sniff what's that smell?

Stop and look under seat. Batteries and wires seem ok, not really warm... Hop back on, going up the next grade, studder, stutter (@ about 18MPH) Studddddddddddder, and power gone. Look under, motor smoking and a little oil leaking from seal. Got towed home by by neighbors gator.... crap.

So I guess you can't do that? Time for new motor and wires I guess. Anything else I missed?
Scott_nra is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-21-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
mymonstertruck
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: News Flash! Stock motor does not like 500 amps!

You over loaded the motor with the weight and going down hill. Time for a new one.
mymonstertruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:37 PM   #3
Scott_nra
Getting Wild

Bet I didnt go 2 miles total. I would have thought downhill and pavement would be easier on a motor.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:08 PM   #4
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Downhill can over-rev a motor real quick.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 04:46 PM   #5
Scott_nra
Getting Wild

I didon't evan know that was possible with an electric.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:49 PM   #6
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Yep, especially shunt wound carts like your IQ cart is.

Don't feel bad, even veteran electrical geniuses can smoke a motor though, check out this thread by JohnnieB: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...t-setback.html
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:12 PM   #7
Scott_nra
Getting Wild

Well I'm about as far from an electrical Genius as they come. not really that upset as I planned on upgrading the motor anyway. I just hoped to eek through hunting season first. So much for that idea.

Here is what I know about electricity:
1. It's faster than I am
2. I can't see it coming
3. OUCH!
4. Black to black, white to white Green to ground.

Yep, that's about it. So what other things do I not know that I really need to know about this project?

Already found out about lifts. Would not recommend the 8" All Sports double a arm. Rides rough as crap, and I still have some front end wobble back and forth I can't seem to get rid of. Would have like to known about that.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #8
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_nra View Post
Already found out about lifts. Would not recommend the 8" All Sports double a arm. Rides rough as crap, and I still have some front end wobble back and forth I can't seem to get rid of. Would have like to known about that.
You have fallen victim to the cheap lift kit. The kit you have it the same kit that is sold by a ton of other vendors with different names on it. I had the same lift and just couldn't take it anymore. I installed the Allsports Super Sport 6" lift and couldn't be happier. It rides as good as it did stock,if not better. I also love the 4 U-Bolt setup of the AS SS lift in the back as opposed to the 2 U-Bolt configuration that all of the other manufactures use
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #9
mymonstertruck
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would send the motor to plum quick and have them build you bandit motor for 225.00 But it might cost you a little more because your motor needs a complete rebuild By the sounds of it. But it's still the best way to go.
mymonstertruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:59 PM   #10
Scott_nra
Getting Wild

Hey CCF, did you take out one of the springs in the front? Also, did this come with XH real leafs? Mine did and those things will knock out your fillings! I really like that little extra ground clearance of the 8" lift. I'm going to have a hard time just chucking that kit though, It was not "That" cheap. Haha.

After I finish this build and get through the learning curve, I will decide, do I keep it and change the lift, or sell it and start over with another build (making a little $ in the process) Around here a high performance cart like that would sell for around $6k. I'll have about $3500 in it or so. First things first. I need to get moving again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car