lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2015, 02:28 PM   #71
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: Roll away braking

Best source I have found for magnets: www.kjmagnetics.com. Buy their hobby kit it comes with all sizes. I use them for door closures and all kinds of things.
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2015, 03:53 AM   #72
voodoocr
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Roll away braking

Help With Roll away Breaking.....

I have a Club Car 99 DS series wound motor and would like to know how to brake with one of the following possible options as we have steep hills about 1km 15% gradient.

Controller Curtis 1204-410 225A
Motor 4 pole equal sized GE series wound type.

1) Plug Braking
If possible can I use the forward / Reverse manual lever to slow me down when going down a hill if so must I apply throttle then switch into reverse until I feel a slowing down will that work as standard on my model ?

2) Dynamic Braking
There is nothing attached to this model to suggest it has Dynamic braking but I have seen the option to have a dynamic braking solenoid and Coil in series with the A2 wire from motor to Controller could I install this as an upgrade to discipate the energy in the coil rather than the motor (as in option 1) ?

3) Regen Braking
I have a spare Regen Motor from a 2004 cart (2 Large poles 2 small poles) could i Use that on my Curtis 1204 controller or is there no way that the energy would go back to the batteries with that type of controller ?

Any help appreciated ? and quite happy to move this post if it belongs somewhere else but it seemed like the best place given the expertise of Sergio and Co.

Thank you

Jean
voodoocr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:16 AM   #73
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Roll away braking

The only feasible option is #1 (plug brake). Sepex motors will not work on a Series drive.

You can tell if your controller supports if it has a terminal named A2.

If it does, 2 things are critical to make it work:
The Armature must be connected directly to the controller’s B+ and A2 terminals. That is: Motor A1 to Controller B+ and Motor A2 to Controller A2.
The FNR must switch the Field polarity, not the armature.
Since most Curtis controllers made for Club Car have the HPD feature, You cannot switch from Forward to Reverse with the Pedal down or it will activate the HPD and freewheel.

If Your controller is wired as above and You Lift your foot off the pedal, change directions and put your foot back on the pedal, the Controller will automatically go into Plug Brake mode.

It may be either "fixed" or "variable" with the throttle depending on the specific model and feature enabled.

If it is "fixed" plug brake, there is usually an adjustment screw for the intensity.

The "Plug Brake" controllers also use a much lower PWM frequency for the "Field Modulation" during plug brake, like 1khz, so You may hear a tone coming from the controller.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car