lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2015, 07:21 PM   #1
somfas
Gone Wild

Default Looking for more speed for an already fast TXT

This is a custom 72V stretched TXT that will go 25mph. It is very stable and I plan to add front brakes. I would like to get the speed up to 40mph-45mph. There is a small stretch of road that I have to go on that would actually be safer if I could go faster on it. Don't care to always go 45mph but would like the ability. What are my options? It already has a custom D&D motor, 450 Alltrax, higher speed gear, 23" tires, etc. Can I simply get a much stronger and faster motor? Please feel free to chime in Sportcoupe . Alternatively, do you guys know of any fast electric UTVs? I looked at some gas ones but would prefer to stick with electric and it needs to seat at least 4 people. Thanks for your help!
somfas is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2015, 08:19 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Looking for more speed for an already fast TXT

Sounds like you already have plenty of power, high speed gears may be in your future. I dont think they make a motor that will get you 40+ mph without some gear change.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:47 PM   #3
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by somfas View Post
This is a custom 72V stretched TXT that will go 25mph. It is very stable and I plan to add front brakes. I would like to get the speed up to 40mph-45mph. There is a small stretch of road that I have to go on that would actually be safer if I could go faster on it. Don't care to always go 45mph but would like the ability. What are my options? It already has a custom D&D motor, 450 Alltrax, higher speed gear, 23" tires, etc. Can I simply get a much stronger and faster motor? Please feel free to chime in Sportcoupe . Alternatively, do you guys know of any fast electric UTVs? I looked at some gas ones but would prefer to stick with electric and it needs to seat at least 4 people. Thanks for your help!
Hmmmm... I don't think I understand why that combo would only be at 25 mph?? Do you know the specs on the motor? You say it has high speed gears. Do you know if it's 8:1 or 6:1? My PDS cart on 48 volts, 6:1's with 20" rear tires will run over 40. I would definitely say you need to do the front brakes before speeding the cart up any more. I'd add that my PDS is kinda twitchy over 35 or so. Make sure your front end is tight with correct alignment.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:17 PM   #4
Jeffreynmandy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
Hmmmm... I don't think I understand why that combo would only be at 25 mph?? Do you know the specs on the motor? You say it has high speed gears. Do you know if it's 8:1 or 6:1? My PDS cart on 48 volts, 6:1's with 20" rear tires will run over 40. I would definitely say you need to do the front brakes before speeding the cart up any more. I'd add that my PDS is kinda twitchy over 35 or so. Make sure your front end is tight with correct alignment.

Not to hijack, but I'm in a similar boat, I'll eventually play with going faster than 25, but I'm getting twitchy at 25. I'm thinking heavy duty springs on front and rear, steering rebuild or new steering box, and maybe a steering stabilizer. Should I see a big difference in handling with these upgrades?

This is a 96 txt series cart.
Jeffreynmandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:21 AM   #5
somfas
Gone Wild

Thanks. It is the 8:1 gears. But the cart is real heavy with the extra battery weight and the extra 32" stretch. I feel like it would bog down if I put on 6:1. Also, It really does more like 27-28, and thats with two adults and two kids.
somfas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by somfas View Post
Thanks. It is the 8:1 gears. But the cart is real heavy with the extra battery weight and the extra 32" stretch. I feel like it would bog down if I put on 6:1. Also, It really does more like 27-28, and thats with two adults and two kids.
Since your motor is only spinning about 3300 RPM at 28MPH, you are already be bogged down with 23" tires and 8:1 gears.

Max recommended motor RPM for a D&D motor is 6500 RPM, so the theoretical top speed for your tire height and gear ratio is 55.6 MPH.
Of course, a heavy cart like yours will never reach its theoretical speed, but I'm pretty sure it ought to be able to reach more than half of it.
Maybe about 2/3 of it like TerryH gets.

Is your cart a Series or a SepEx drive?

What is the max inflation pressure stamped on the tire's sidewalls?

What model motor are you running?

Is it High-Torque, or High-Speed, or something in between?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:32 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

40 -45 mph in a stretched golf cart ??? Are u crazy?
I'm not saying it can't be built. I'm saying it's reckless endangerment. IMHO
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:09 PM   #8
rbuggies48IN
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

NASCAR driver restraints would be mandatory for all passengers and perhaps helmets and pads. Can you even get this thing insured for travel on a 45 mph road. You'll also need a good attorney when you role this thing for the civil suits you may encounter from the families of your dead passengers, but you probably won't have to worry about being around for that. I think all the crash test dummies always die when this vehicle is safety tested by the NTSB.
rbuggies48IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO